Petroleum Jelly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having trouble with my reg. mouthpieces rubbing sores on my inside low lip...strange I know,,,,,,even have a well fitting custom mouthpiece. Was thinking of a layer of petroleum jelly rubbed on my lip....will the petroleum jelly hurt or effect the Sea Cure silicone mouthpiece??

Ummm, you may want to try a few other mouthpieces, before you go diving with a mouthful of petroleum jelly. There are quite a few out there, and I'll bet you'll find one that works better than your 'sea-cure'.

Just a thought.....

My husband uses a thin layer of vaseline over his mustache to help make the seal and keep water out. It seems to work very well but obviously doesn't last between dives and has to be reapplied. We have a trial-sized tube from WallyWorld that we just keep with our dive gear.

texdiveguy:
Having trouble with my reg. mouthpieces rubbing sores on my inside low lip...strange I know,,,,,,even have a well fitting custom mouthpiece. Was thinking of a layer of petroleum jelly rubbed on my lip....will the petroleum jelly hurt or effect the Sea Cure silicone mouthpiece??

Tex,

My son had the same problem. His mouth was always sore after a couple of dives. We switched to a shorter hose. A 22 inch instead of the 26 and it put less pressure on his mouth and it cured his problem. His second stage no longer hung crooked in his mouth.

Also besides the seacure mouth piece Ebay has a seller that handles long bite silicone mouthpieces. They cost about $16 for 4. I have bought several and they work quite well.

Jim
Louisiana

I hear this occasionally. I tell folks to reheat the SeaCure and smooth the bottom and outside of the mouthpiece. I learned on mne because the back rubbing my cheek.

check to see that the cable tie that holds the moughtpiece on is cut smooth. If there is a slight angle or is not trimmed properly, this can really iritate in the way you described.

THANKS everyone for all the help,,,,I now have something to go on to finding a cure!!!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom