Philippines Puerto Galera island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first thing to note about PG, or more specifically Sabang Beach and Big and Small Laguna, is that it is a very compact resort; a brisk walking pace will take you from end to end in 15 minutes or so. This means that wherever you find to stay, you will never be far from the dive centres, bars and restaurants etc, so don't worry too much about that.

Another thing to note is that many of the dive centres and some of the hotels cater specifically for Korean visitors, so bear this in mind when looking around.

I have made three trips to PG in recent years, and have stayed in a number of different places. You can really pay any price you like, and clearly many places are cheaper off season. During my first visit, I stayed at Angelyns resort, and can vouch for the comfort of their rooms. Last time I was there the reception and restaurant are was being rebuilt. More recently I stayed at the Seashore Resort, and paid 1000 per night for a huge room, on the understanding that the aircon is not used. I quite liked this place, and would stay there again. There are other rooms and small hotels this end of the resort that are similarly priced. The cheapest I paid was 800 for a basic room at seabreeze... Again more than adequate for a good nights sleep, and looking right out over the sea. Also visited some friends last trip who were staying in the Oriental Sabang Hill Resort.. Very impressive with pool, bar restaurant and great views... At around 40 USD per night. Another obvious choice would be Big Apple... Central, a range of room prices, but I probably wouldn't choose to dive with them.

As for the diving, I have personally dived with South Sea Divers (just down from Angelyns) and would recommend them. During my last few trips I have dived with Mark at SeaRider.. And again would highly recommend them.. Good centre run by locals with very reasonable prices. As mentioned elsewhere they can arrange accomodation for you also, at whatever price range you want to pay. There is a small block of rooms right next door, available at very competitive rates.

If you need any specific information, then please feel free to pm me. Am hoping to be back there in February/April myself.

I have a couple more questions for you. I will be spending the nights of may 3-6th (friday-monday) in either PG or Anilao.

What keeps confusing me about PG is that it seems to encompass multiple beaches that all have a very different feel and nightlife from what I read (sabang, big/small la laguna, white beach, ect).

Are they all sharing the same dive sites? I am planning on muck/macro diving in bays off PG. Am I misunderstanding where I should be looking to limit/define my options?

Thanks
Jimmy

I think I decide to go the anilao for the ability to shore dive and boat dive. I do not believe either choice is a bad one......... I guess i have made mine.

I am a little worried because the videos that the resorts post as advertisements show a bunch of sloppy divers begin lead around like a heard of bubbles and flailing arms. I am worried that the boat dives will end up with a very large range of divers. I like the idea of a guide locating creatures I am unfamiliar with. I do not want to sound like an ass or dive snob, I just was limited by the boat composition in mexico and want to avoid this again.

I am a little worried because the videos that the resorts post as advertisements show a bunch of sloppy divers begin lead around like a heard of bubbles and flailing arms. I am worried that the boat dives will end up with a very large range of divers. I like the idea of a guide locating creatures I am unfamiliar with. I do not want to sound like an ass or dive snob, I just was limited by the boat composition in mexico and want to avoid this again.
You have two choices:
1. Give the other divers benefit of the doubt FIRST and then decide afterwards.
2. Charter your own boat/dm etc etc from day 1.

I am worried that the boat dives will end up with a very large range of divers. I like the idea of a guide locating creatures I am unfamiliar with. I do not want to sound like an ass or dive snob, I just was limited by the boat composition in mexico and want to avoid this again.
3 years ago, I used Seariders on Smal Laguna beach (Puerto Galera).
All of my 21 dives were with just a DM and me.
Half of them were with just me, the DM and a sailor on the boat, most of the others were with less than 4 clients one the boat with 2 DM (me included).

Just returned yesterday from a week at Sabang. Great diving.
I highly recommend Captn Greggs for diving. Mark Cox runs a great diving outfit. It's my second time with them - first time was for some tech courses (and he's a great instructor), this time was just recreational fun diving and I really enjoyed every dive. We had the benefit of a full moon, and so some nice roaring currents if you timed it right, but the Canyons was my favourite dive site - so much fish life. There was also a German Instructor leading some of the dives, Marko, who was extremely observant and would find and point out lots of well hidden critters.

Enjoy your trip - I can't wait to go back.

Hi nomad-Diver
Who did you fly with from Oz?

I did PG two years ago and most of the time the dive boats were fairly empty. Like others have said, there are so many dive ops you will be able to find one you like.

Jimmy,

This year my Philippines dive trip will be Anilao only, not PG. The ability to shore dive is a great plus IMHO, especially when doing macro photography.

Whatever you choose, enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom