Photo and buddy system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get a wide angle lens and use your buddy as a photo subject. :blinking:

But then no one will see the sharks coming! :D

This is why teams of three, with one photographer, work better. The two camera-free buddies can monitor one another, and both can watch the photographer as he single-mindedly pursues "the shot" :)

OMG this would drive me insane LOL I'd rather take up golf :wink:

Not to mention that we'd need a bigger boat for all those extra people :D

But then no one will see the sharks coming! :D

There were no sharks...

There was, however

chipstersm.jpg

Hate to say it, but the camera is your buddy.
Either that, or subscribe to the "One Ocean" policy...

Z...

Now that's an awesome buddy. :blinking: He must have been [-]narcissistic[/-] gracious enough to be your photo subject yet understanding enough to realize that you, as a photographer, [-]need[/-] like your space.

Why does the needs of the diver without the camera take precedence? I've had "buddies" who got bored when I stopped to compose a photo and just left me. No word, signal or anything. I looked up and they were gone. I've also had ones who told me they were swimming on, which was OK with me and then I caught up with them when I was through. Personally, I like diving with another photographer better because we are aware that we are going to be ignoring each other.:rofl3: Plus, we point out shots to each other.

OMG this would drive me insane LOL I'd rather take up golf

Just curious, why?

I'm fortunate to have a full time buddy, and unfortunate (we're married) that she'll get impatient with my hovering upside down over a hole with something in it and continue swimming-usually, between two giant boulders and out of sight-oblivious to me. Since we dive in green water, where great vis is about 50 feet, good vis is about 25 and normal vis is 10-15, this can be a challenge. Fortunately, we're both experienced divers with well maintained equipment, and she's an excellent navigator (I have no clue where I've been, my memory is about as long as my camera tether). Our system is, if we lose each other as we do about every 10th-15th dive, I wait where I am and she back tracks. This is usually a matter of about 1-2 minutes, so a high pressure blow out would be a real problem, but otherwise we're good. Kind of like solo diving with a buddy, I guess. If conditions are very challenging, everything changes. We stick a lot closer and I keep one eye on my buddy and one on my subject. When we bring guests on our boat, it's with the understanding that they are responsible divers. They can bring a buddy, or hang with us, but we are not responsible for them if they choose to run off on their own so they need to be careful and safe and know how to get back to the boat.

This is why teams of three, with one photographer, work better. The two camera-free buddies can monitor one another, and both can watch the photographer as he single-mindedly pursues "the shot" :)

That's actually how I got lost once. Team of 3. I was the one with a camera. One of the other two was a divemaster. I stopped to take a photo of a cleaning station in the middle of a circle of coral. - I actually made eye contact with one of my buddies to make sure they knew what I was stopping briefly.

They swam off, and when I looked up from the shot were nowhere in sight. There were several openings in the circle, I didn't know which opening they had left by, and other divers were swimming in and out of the circle.

They did come back to find me eventually, but it was just about at the end of the "wait one minute then surface" period.

I will not be part of a three person team in the middle of the ocean anytime soon, unless I know my buddies extremely well. Even then, my camera will be waiting for me on the boat.

There were no sharks...

There was, however

chipstersm.jpg

Hate to say it, but the camera is your buddy.
Either that, or subscribe to the "One Ocean" policy...

Z...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Seriously though Zee, I agree. Same ocean is my motto.

What's this "buddy system" everyone is talking about ? :duck:

But seriously, if I end up having to dive with a non photographer I will usually explain to them that I will be diving sloooowly. I also ask if they would be prepared to help find certain species or subjects, the response is usually quite enthusiastic. Some non photogs actually do enjoy not rushing around. Showing apprecition after the dive goes a long way as well.

If I buddy up with a photographer we will usually work out an "informal" dive plan ie. try to stick together. If it's a shore dive we will discuss an approximate route and exit spot so that if we do split up we at least stand a chance of finding one another again.

I know most of the skippers locally, if I think it's going to end up being a solo dive I will discuss it with him so that he is aware as to what is going on and whether he is happy with the situation. The skipper rules !!!!We don't use DM'S on our "local" dives

When it comes to travelling I usually go with what the resort requires in terms of buddy pairs.

Ditto Darnold9999's comments on experience and solo diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom