Photo training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ippy01

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a long-time diver who has dabbled with underwater photography via a very simple Sony DSC-W220 and a Sony housing (which works reasonably well in shallow, bright conditions). I thoroughly love taking and sharing pictures and am ready to invest some time and money in getting much better results. The equipment part seems very premature to me now given that I don't know the first thing about photography.

What's the best way to close this gap? I'm thinking a basic photography class at my local community college might be the way to go. Does this seem reasonable?

Once I master the basics of photography, where would you recommend I go to get further instruction on underwater photography? Again, I'm willing to put some time and bucks into this to get it right.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

I'm a long-time diver who has dabbled with underwater photography via a very simple Sony DSC-W220 and a Sony housing (which works reasonably well in shallow, bright conditions). I thoroughly love taking and sharing pictures and am ready to invest some time and money in getting much better results. The equipment part seems very premature to me now given that I don't know the first thing about photography.

What's the best way to close this gap? I'm thinking a basic photography class at my local community college might be the way to go. Does this seem reasonable?

Once I master the basics of photography, where would you recommend I go to get further instruction on underwater photography? Again, I'm willing to put some time and bucks into this to get it right.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

I would get a 'high end' Canon P&S, about 300 to 400 dollars these days, UW Canon housing, about ?150 dollars & get with it--total probably under $500.....To begin with you can start with their UW filter & UW Scene mode---really a P&S setup(keep it on macro & use the cameras' flash, when necessary).....I basically shoot with only a little more setups & really just adjust my Fstop(from ~2.5 to 5--depending on available light)If you need the other 3 things I do, send me a PM.......It's really not that hard====ie get as close as possible & HOLD THE CAMERA STILL when taking the pic......

Look @ some of my results in my below sig using a Canon camera & housing I paid 330 bucks for 2+ years ago-----still does OK IMO---btw, it kicked the pants off of 4 Sealife's(some were brand new) recently in Dominica.......good luck, let us know your results..

Wow! Your photos are beautiful diver_85. I'll be enjoying those for a while.

Thanks for the info -- seems easier than I thought

To answer the original question, a class where they actually require you to bring in photos you shoot each week is one of the fastest ways to learn to shoot. If you like wide angle underwater take a topside class that focuses on landscape. If you like to shoot macro then take a class focusing on macro or on flowers. Don't go off and buy a camera right away and if you do get one make sure it has the ability to do manual control. Learn about how shutter speed and aperture work to control both foreground and background lighting and DOF. When you get to the point of actually buying a camera, there are loads of ways you can go, from very inexpensive to a lot less inexpensive. If you dive a lot and are serious about pictures then if you can spend say $2 per picture you take and do 100 dives per year over 5 years you get to spend $1000. More per pic means spending more as does more dives. You can do the math.

Bill

Great looking shots -- lots of terrific colors. I'm jealous!

I strongly second the advice to get a high end p&s camera with manual control. I would further advise an external strobe, because that's the only way you can fully utilize manual controls. The reason you need manual control is because you use shutter speed to determine the background color for your photos and adjust the strobe to properly expose your subject. Automatic controls seek to even out exposure and won't let you achieve that push/pull imaging range necessary for underwater shooting.

For training, start with the stickies at the top of this forum. Gilligan and Alcina present a lot of good information. I would further recommend reading some books. Jack and Sue Drafahl have authored several good books and DVDs on underwater photography and image processing. If you're going to attend a class why not look into taking a photo diving trip class? The Drafahls and Cathy Church have courses where you would learn u/w potography while diving. Cathy is based in the Caymans and the Drafahls run classes in Bonaire. Your LDS probably has u/w photo classes as well.

To check out cameras I use:
Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!
and/or
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

The Drafahls are at:
www.jackandsuedrafahl.com

Cathy Church is at:
Underwater Photography and Scuba Diving in the world of Cayman's Cathy Church

I second the recommendation of the Drafahl's; we were on a trip with them to the Solomon Islands and even though it wasn't an official teaching trip they were wonderful. BUT I still think it is very important to understand photography on land before you jump in the water. To me I think if you can use your camera (make sure it has both manual controls and raw) without thinking on land then you will be much better off underwater.
Bill

I don't know where you are located. But SCUBA shows such as Beneath The Sea in New Jersey have seminars some free and some have a nominal cost but are worth wild. I took a class at the last Beneath The Sea with Danielle and Michel Gilbert and it was excellent. Equipment and settings and all sorts of shooting scenarios where discussed.

If you need to learn about photography in general, take a course or two from Better Photo. You can do a 4 week or 8 week course with weekly assignments that get critiqued by the photo pro teaching the class. You get one-on-one feedback which is important for learning what you're doing right or wrong. There is a Q&A forum in each class where you can ask all the questions you want.

Back
Top Bottom