Photos From My Last Weekend Trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudis Of Muck Diving...

img5305la1.jpg

img5302zs0.jpg

img5275kv0.jpg

img5356jy4.jpg

img5359zr1.jpg

To Be Continue...

Ed.

alcina:
Muck diving is low viz and silty and/or easily stirred up bottoms. There are a tremendous number of funky creatures living in areas of muck as well as a whole host of more "common" critters (at least in our muck diving we also see the "locals" but often with size or colour variation, which is very cool). Generally muck diving needs very good diving skills and a keen eye to determine how to take a good photo!

Muck diving isn't for everyone - many divers don't like low viz and many aren't comfortable enough to always be aware of their fins and danglies etc.

There you go! Alcina says it all. Thanks! :wink:
Jam - Thanks!

Ed.

Wonderful pics! I wonder what the praying mantis looking creature is too. So are there any techniques in muck diving for steadying yourself (with coral, you can put your finger on a dead spot)?

scubabum2:
So are there any techniques in muck diving for steadying yourself (with coral, you can put your finger on a dead spot)?

Sometimes there is something to rest a finger on. But mostly it's breathing/buoyancy control. You've got to understand that when you move you create little (or big) eddies that may disturb the bottom, even if you don't actually touch it. So moving into an area and moving out takes special care. You also need to know where all bits and pieces of your gear are so they aren't dragging or banging or snagging etc.

It's not terribly hard diving, just requires another level of awareness. It's great fun :D

We have some of that green stuff around here - guess I need to take a closer look.

We have those urchins here too (or very simular) they are called blue spotted urchins (Astropyga Radiata).

Great pics as always Ed!

scubabum2:
Wonderful pics! I wonder what the praying mantis looking creature is too. So are there any techniques in muck diving for steadying yourself (with coral, you can put your finger on a dead spot)?

Thanks Scubaum2!
Just like what Alcina said, it's all about breathing and buoyancy control. U'll have to move slowly and gently so that you do not stir up all the silt and debris! Muck diving is definitely lots of fun! :D

Ed.

justleesa:
We have some of that green stuff around here - guess I need to take a closer look.

We have those urchins here too (or very simular) they are called blue spotted urchins (Astropyga Radiata).

Great pics as always Ed!

Thanks Lisa!
If you have those around your area, you might wanna look a little bit closer. I bet you'll get all excited when you find one. :D

Ed.

More Of The Interesting Nudis (Nudis With Eyes)...

img5338jq4.jpg

img5362dj0.jpg

img5368yo1.jpg

img5366uq6.jpg

I'm starting to get hooked on Muck Diving... :D

Ed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom