Photoshop vs microsoft office picture manager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Little do I know... but that does not prevent me posting... :D

I think you just need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

What do you want to achieve?
- if you need to produce commercial pictures, high quality prints etc. go for PS. If you only need a neat I-took-that-pictures on your wall you probably can do with PM

What can you manage?
-If you have your way with computer software and can easily master PS you will get good results. If you are struggling with you e-mail it might be easier to stick to PM

What can you afford?
-do I need to explain?

Anyway, the best solution is to have good enough camera set-up and skills so you dont need either one! (Most of my pics are beyond repair but I think after answering the questions I will stick to PM and GIMP)

Adobe Lightroom - By Photographers, for Photographers.

All-round excellent picture management program, 30 day free-trial of full version.

I have a full version of CS2, never used it since I got Lightroom.

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

I just downloaded the trial version of Adobe Lightroom, I did not think it was too user friendly. One thing about photoshop that I like is the "auto correct" or something to that effect. I did not see a similiar command on lightroom. Am I missing something?

Step away from auto!! If that's all you're going to do, save your money and use what's on your computer already.

In LR, just move the sliders around. It's that easy :wink:.

To set wb, either move the two sliders at the top in the develop module or click the eye dropper tool and move it around your photo, clicking when you think it looks good (you can see the changes as you move over the photo if you look in the upper left - your navigation window).

LR rocks. But you gotta get in there and play.

Thanks for the eye dropper info, that makes playing around a little easier. Bye the way, when you are setting the WB, should I click on an item that is as while as possible? (Maybe this is incredibly obvious to others but to me it is not)

Lightroom (LR) takes a little getting used to, but;

My advice would be to take the time to find some (free) video clips and (free) podcasts and get to understand the guts of the program, (it does operate differently to others), and you will not be disappointed.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
Free Lightroom Tutorials - Adobe Lightroom Tips & Tricks | PhotoshopSupport.com
Photoshop Lightroom Basic Training | Photoshop Training (not free but something I would consider)
I-tunes store, podcasts, search "Lightroom" and find some free video podcasts you can subscribe to.

I am managing 30 000 images in LR and it does work exceedingly well.

Regards
Richard (Riger)

Thanks for the eye dropper info, that makes playing around a little easier. Bye the way, when you are setting the WB, should I click on an item that is as while as possible? (Maybe this is incredibly obvious to others but to me it is not)

Strangely, it's not as obvious as one would think. I usually look for something grayish or almost white but really not. Depends on the image :wink: Play around with different images - what works for one might not work for another.

I almost always use the sliders instead of the eye dropper now, but I'll use the eye dropper to skim around a shot just to see where I might like to go. I might also click the eye dropper and then tweak with the sliders to get it just so.

LR is so incredibly powerful, but so easy to use once you get used to not being scared of it. Remember, all edits are non-destructive in LR and you can go back and redo stuff at the click of a button!

With regards to using the eyedropper to find a reference point for the Whit Balance, your reference object should be a neutral gray(grey?) that is to say it can be what you know is white or what you know is gray or even what you know is black.

Try this;

Take an image that requires correction, select the WB tool and (making sure you have the navigator frame open on the left) move your cursor over the image and watch the effect on the navigator image, try white, black and greys. You will soon get the feel for it or even use the nav window to 'test' some areas before applying them.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Richard (Riger)

Are you able to just alter the color is certain areas with lightroom? On a different thread there was a picture of a barracuda and a wreck at different distances and one was able to alter the color/tint/etc at the barracuda and adjust it to a different amount on the wreck.

Also I see these pics with deep blue backgrounds. Is this a photoshop alteration or is it the skil/equiptment/luck of the photographer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom