Photoshop vs. Photodraw smackdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
DISCONTINUED?!! Well, that takes care of that... poo

Yeah, PhotoDraw was a nice little program but it was redundant within Microsoft. It lost out to PictureIt / Digital Image Pro. The current version of Digital Image Pro (v9) is actually pretty good, powerful, and quite easy to use.

Photoshop is very cool, powerful, and very complex. It's really hard to do much of anything with it until you spend some serious time and reading. Even PS Elements is a little tough once you scratch past the surface.

If you are a little intimidated by complex software, I'd certain look at Digital Image Pro. It did end up incorporating some of the better features of PhotoDraw.

Dave

the reason your snubbed, is because Photoshop is the best piece of software out on the market, nothing and I mean NOTHING even comes close to sniffing its feet!

So we who use photoshop (on a regular basis) wonder why everyone else uses inferior stuff.. I understand tho that not everyone needs that power!

The difficulty of using photoshop is both a blessing and a curse (Adobe is trying to make it easyer to use unfortunatly)

Zacrifice:
So we who use photoshop (on a regular basis) wonder why everyone else uses inferior stuff.. I understand tho that not everyone needs that power!
Because not everyone believes it's worth the ridiculously outrageous price tag. Fo power users who also use it for graphic arts publishing, it's warranted. But for us who only need to tweak a few photos, or who are working with a photo budget, that money is best spent elsewhere.

So you can keep your stinky feet! :wink:

"Because not everyone believes it's worth the ridiculously outrageous price tag"

Begging your pardon but it is only "ridiculously outrageous" to YOU! And there are a million ways to get the software at a steep discount (i.e. educational discount or purchase a previous edition and upgrade etc). Adobe charge what the market is willing to pay...and for the functionality PS/CS offer it is well worth the money.

For those who do not wish to use or attempt to learn full image manipulation PE2 or Paintshop Pro are lower-cost alternatives. Even using the lower cost alternatives involves a learning curve as both offer the use of Layers and Filters. And...as a further side note should you want to open .RAW files you will need to purchase the plug-in (for PE2...unknown if it's available for PSP) or use the crappy software that comes with the camera (this functionality is native to CS).

<edit>ps...can we keep the feet out of it???

Dee:
So you can keep your stinky feet! :wink:

ROTFLMAO!!!

I have been using PS for many years and still have much to learn but I love it. But it certainly isn't necessary and it is expensive.

I have played with Paint Shop Pro and it is also very powerful and can do more for the money than PS.

I have never used Elements but from what I've read on forums, it sounds pretty darn good too.

While I love and use PS on a regular basis, there's no need to get on a high horse about it. It's the final image, and your personal satisfation with it, that really counts.

Plus, who wants stinky feet?

I use PS on a professional and recreational level. It is very powerful and I wouldn't think of using anything else. But for the casual user I think it is a bit over the top - price and feature wise.
Has anyone used a software called The Print Shop Photo Organizer by Broderbund software? It is primarily a photo cataloguing application and was distributed free by photo printing stores who also provided a digitized copy of your prints on CD. The cataloguing software itself is great - you can catalogue photos on removable media (CDs etc), cross reference, add keywords and add classifications and sub-classes too. But it also has a correction/editing section and the auto colour correct is the best I've seen - great for a quick fix. Sadly I haven't been able to find it on the web - maybe it's too old or just a cut down version of one of their mainstream apps.

Back
Top Bottom