PHP: Best place diving with whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raastad91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I have about 1 week on my own in the Philippines to do some diving before the rest of my group joins me. 05.03.23 to 11/12.03.23.

Top of my bucket list is diving with whale sharks.

Does anyone have good recommendations on which places is most likely to see them? I was looking at Ticao Island (Manta bowl), and recently heard about Southern Leyte. Which is better in your opinion? Or is there another good alternative?

A second choice is to snorkel with the gentle giants - but only if it’s done for the whales best welfare.

(I tried to look for existing threads, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for.)

Thank you in advance! :)

Sogod Bay has great diving. It is more of a journey than some other locations. Count on a day to get there and one day for the return to where you started.

When we were there, diving with the whale sharks was not permitted. Only snorkeling. It was well managed and not at all like other snorkeling experiences we have had with them in other locations. Chance encounters were happening….but not planned whale shark dives. Maybe others have more info?

In Oslob, however, there are dive trips that can be made, but you have to stay a certain distance away from the whale sharks. A recent post covered this from a live aboard, but I have heard land-based operators can also arrange it. Not certain which or how well regarded. Note that although Oslob appears close to Cebu City, traffic and logistics make it a full day experience once you secure transport and dive booking.

Note: the snorkeling operations out of Olsob are pretty awful, and rather circus-like. Really unpleasant for us. Your mileage may vary.

Here is the post with dives in Oslob as part of their itinerary.

Wonderful images hosted elsewhere. Really amazing quality photos! 👍🏻

Hope this helps. Others are likely better informed than I am…to be honest. ;-)

Regards,

JohnCn

Sogod Bay has great diving. It is more of a journey than some other locations. Count on a day to get there and one day for the return to where you started.

When we were there, diving with the whale sharks was not permitted. Only snorkeling. It was well managed and not at all like other snorkeling experiences we have had with them in other locations. Chance encounters were happening….but not planned whale shark dives. Maybe others have more info?

In Oslob, however, there are dive trips that can be made, but you have to stay a certain distance away from the whale sharks. A recent post covered this from a live aboard, but I have heard land-based operators can also arrange it. Not certain which or how well regarded. Note that although Oslob appears close to Cebu City, traffic and logistics make it a full day experience once you secure transport and dive booking.

Note: the snorkeling operations out of Olsob are pretty awful, and rather circus-like. Really unpleasant for us. Your mileage may vary.

Here is the post with dives in Oslob as part of their itinerary.

Wonderful images hosted elsewhere. Really amazing quality photos! 👍🏻

Hope this helps. Others are likely better informed than I am…to be honest. ;-)

Regards,

JohnCn

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Fantastic pictures! Sogod sounds really nice, and I like the idea that it’s probably not as crowded as Donsol and Oslob.

Hi,

I have about 1 week on my own in the Philippines to do some diving before the rest of my group joins me. 05.03.23 to 11/12.03.23.

Top of my bucket list is diving with whale sharks.

Does anyone have good recommendations on which places is most likely to see them? I was looking at Ticao Island (Manta bowl), and recently heard about Southern Leyte. Which is better in your opinion? Or is there another good alternative?

A second choice is to snorkel with the gentle giants - but only if it’s done for the whales best welfare.

(I tried to look for existing threads, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for.)

Thank you in advance! :)
@Johncn has sum up nicely.
1. Oslob for diving with the gentle giant.
2. Southern Leyte for the joy of diving and chance to see whaleshark. Getting/leaving there to Oslob is time consuming.

Good luck.

The diving in Southern Leyte is fantastic, there is a direct ferry from Cebu, or ypu can fly from Manila. My hubby and I spent six nights there a few years ago and saw whalesharks. Ours was the only boat there. There is also an amazing night dive under a pier, you go there in a jeepney with all your equipment !

Most people coming to Southern Leyte to snorkel with whale sharks are well aware of the Oslob experience on offer and gladly travel well out of their way to avoid it. In Southern Leyte, feeding the whale sharks to draw or keep them in is not allowed. Neither is it allowed to dive with them in an effort to keep the harassment level to a minimum. If you are lucky enough to see them on a dive that's another story. It happens. Just not much.
The whales come and go on their own schedule here, and there are no guarantees. That said, early March is well within the season. Any dive op you pick will offer whale shark excursions. You can't go wrong with whichever you choose. If you are a diver, not on the tightest of schedules, Southern Leyte is your #1 choice, IMO.

Note that although Oslob appears close to Cebu City,

It isn't close to Cebu city and is a few hours drive away. Sometimes people look and see and island and think it's small. Not quite like Australia but road conditions are not the best and traffic can be horrendous. You really want to be close to Oslob to enjoy one of the WS swims.

I saw a whale shark on my first dive in Bohol two weeks ago. It was by chance.

It isn't close to Cebu city and is a few hours drive away. Sometimes people look and see and island and think it's small. Not quite like Australia but road conditions are not the best and traffic can be horrendous. You really want to be close to Oslob to enjoy one of the WS swims.

I saw a whale shark on my first dive in Bohol two weeks ago. It was by chance.
Oslob is close enough to Cebu City.
Anyone who has any travelled experience in SE Asia know the meaning of "early bird gets the worm" ie start early.
Operators in Moalboal run regular daily trip to Oslob and Moalboal is quite a distance away as compared with Cebu City.

I’ve had a couple 20-30h bus rides in South- and Central America, so I’m well aware of bumpy roads and poor infrastructure 😅

Is it optimistic to split the week between Sogod Bay and Malapascua? I was thinking 3/4 days in S Leyte, and 3/4 days at Malapascua. Which place do I want to spend 4 days, and which do I want 3 days?

Either way I’m going from S Leyte to Cebu at some point, but my traveling party isn’t as crazy about diving as I am. Therefore I need to go to both places the week I am by myself.

Back
Top Bottom