PHP: Best place diving with whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The roads in Philippines are no way as bad as the "Road of Death" in Bolivia. Travelling down from La Paz was the worst but the return was slightly better.
To cover these two places in a week is a bit of rush. The night ferry from Leyte to Cebu and vice versa will save some precious day time. The dive in Padres Bugo jetty is only for couple of night.
The main attraction in Malapascua is the thresher shark. While the general diving quality in Sogod is the main drawing card.

What is the itinerary of the whole trip, including your own free time?
Where would you be landing in Visayas ie Cebu or Tacloban(for Sogod Bay).

The roads in Philippines are no way as bad as the "Road of Death" in Bolivia. Travelling down from La Paz was the worst but the return was slightly better.
To cover these two places in a week is a bit of rush. The night ferry from Leyte to Cebu and vice versa will save some precious day time. The dive in Padres Bugo jetty is only for couple of night.
The main attraction in Malapascua is the thresher shark. While the general diving quality in Sogod is the main drawing card.

What is the itinerary of the whole trip, including your own free time?
Where would you be landing in Visayas ie Cebu or Tacloban(for Sogod Bay).

First I’m going on a 10 day liveaboard in Raja Ampat, so amazing corals and critters are going to be well covered, hopefully. Then fly to Manila, and from there I was thinking Tacloban.

My plan: arriving in Tacloban and Padre Burgos 5th of March, then either stay there until 8th or 9th. So, diving in Sogod Bay 6th, 7th and maybe 8th. Then use 1 day (9th) to take a ferry to Cebu, and directly to Malapascua. Dive there 10th, 11th and possibly early 12th, then head to Cebu or Moalboal. My friends accompany me around there the 12th.

The other option is to only dive Sogod 6th and 7th, and leave 8th, to get one more day in Malapascua. I didn’t know there is a night ferry though.

I know it might be somewhat hectic, but after the 12th, my friends and I will explore Moalboal, Bohol, Siargao, and El Nido and Coron until 8th of April, so that leaves us a bit more relaxed time I imagine. And we’re not all about diving on those three remaining weeks. Gonna be a good mix of “backpacking”.

I read yesterday that the Threshers have moved to another location so you may want to ask ahead from the dive ops if they actually have seen threshers recently at Malapascua

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom