Pick 1 out of 3 and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking into buying a decent BCD I would go with the Mares Dragon. It is super-comfortable and has an integrated weight system and it is really reliable!

As a) a relatively new diver with under 100 dives and b) a recent convert from a rear inflate BC to a BP/W my suggestion is to seriously consider a BP/W. By shifting weight your trim improves dramatically and you have a lot more versatility built in to the system.

Not only that a BP/W (with a singles wing) will probably cost quite a bit less than a BC and you won't end up replacing the whole thing if you decide to dive doubles.

I have enjoyed every single dive on my jacket style BCD however I wish I had known of ScubaBoard (or people that were more interested in selling me a jacket rather than selling me options) when I made my initial gear purchases. I regret nothing but I would have freed up some money to spend on other gear :thumb: by not buying it twice :D. And as divers, we know that it is impossible to find the end of the gear purchases so a kick start is a good thing.

Like I said, get a BP/W.
If you start out with a BP/W and then decide you don't like it you can always sell it for close to what you paid for it because they are in demand and don't lose much value (there's a reason for this). After you sell it you are free to buy whatever you want , and you can rest assured and always know that a BP/W wasn't for you.

Contrast this to buying a jacket or back inflation BC then wanting a BP/W and finding out nobody want's the first mentioned. You will take a hit and still pay good money for the BP/W.

Trust us who have been there and done that, just get the BP/W and be happy.

we have scuba pro gear and LOVE it...try the nighthawk on a dive and see if it works for YOU

Yes your right. Now I am thinking of going with a Halcyon system set up for bp/w.

Take a ride up to Northern Tech Diver in Kingston. They're a Halcyon shop and should be able to answer all your questions, as well as take you out on some nice wrecks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom