Pics from Dive with Christi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevis Diver:
It seems that all of the discussion about Cozumel's comeback since Wilma has been looked at from a standpoint of nothing is the same, not bad necessarily, but different. I have spent two separate weeks on the island since October, 2005 and frankly, what I see while diving has had an almost unparalleled and positive emotional effect on me. Having not had the pleasure of diving Cozumel before Wilma, a question that comes to mind is, "Is there anywhere on Cozumel where one can dive and see the reef as it was before Wilma?"

Thanks,
Chris

Well, no. Some places got more effects than others, but no reef was untouched. I believe that the nearest place to see how Cozumel looked before Wilma might be Belize, but they have been hit in the past 10 years as well, though not as badly.

Nevis Diver:
"Is there anywhere on Cozumel where one can dive and see the reef as it was before Wilma?"
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Gordon... Chun Chakab looked as good to me as it did last spring. I've now done it on 3 trips and while I saw some slight damage to the finger corals post-Emily I didn't see any signs of damage this last time (post-Wilma). That's just my eyes on one dive at a large site so YMMV. Barracuda looked pretty good too but I had never done it pre-Wilma so i have no frame of reference.

Is that what Cozumel looked like 15-20 years ago? I don't know... maybe Gordon does. The endlessly swaying sea fans, gorgonians, soft corals etc. were never something I thought of when I pictured Coz diving in my mind. Not saying they aren't there but Chun Chacab has an overabundance of them where the "normal" sites have/had a normal amount.

You have to understand that Cozumel has a huge percentage of divers in the water at all times. Dive pressure has had a huge impact on the reefs as well.

I think if you can get to the "out of the way" sites you'll be pleasantly surprised by the lack of damage... Hurricane and Diver included. Chun Chacab/Maracaibo Shallows, Maracaibo Deep, El Islote & Barracuda come to mind. Of course they are different dives than the "normal" sites... different profiles, depths, extremes etc. I'm looking forward to trying some of them again on my next trip - whenever that may be :14:

Moodiejeff:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Gordon... Chun Chakab looked as good to me as it did last spring. I've now done it on 3 trips and while I saw some slight damage to the finger corals post-Emily I didn't see any signs of damage this last time (post-Wilma). That's just my eyes on one dive at a large site so YMMV. Barracuda looked pretty good too but I had never done it pre-Wilma so i have no frame of reference.

We are not really disagreeing; I think that Chun Chakab looked the best of all the sites I visited in January, but there were places even there where you could see streaks of deposited sand and broken finger coral. I remarked to a DM after our dive that it looked pretty much like there had not been a hurricane there, and he replied that if you dove the reefs every day like he did, you'd see that there aren't any Cozumel sites that don't show at least some signs of Wilma. That said, January was my first time to Chun Chakab, so I can't testify from firsthand experience either way.

ggunn:
We are not really disagreeing
I hear ya... it's tough for us vacation divers to make any judgements as we're lucky to visit these individual sites at best a few times a year. I've always noticed piles of broken finger corals, even before the hurricanes. I'm no expert but it seems pretty obvious they are very fragile. Wave action & divers fins can really take their toll as well.

Post-Emily I definitely saw a looong pile of broken finger corals during our safety stop off Chun Chakab but how much is due to the hurricane and how much is due to "normal" storm damage I don't know. This was on the sand flats past the reef. Besides that, all three dives there looked great to me... I'm going to have to say it's probably my favorite site. It's always good for a Nurse Shark or two, definitely some Turtles and large Groupers. Best part is you generally have the reef to yourself, not many ops go there... at least on a regular basis. Definitely a Nitrox dive too as it's a very square profile.

Ah Crap! You got me sucked in now... Mia just said to me this morning how she noticed I haven't been posting too much. I said it's 'cause we don't have a trip planned. I like reading the threads but once you get involved in them it leads to that "yearning" to dive... We'll go back sometime this year but with nothing set in stone I'd rather take a backseat and be an observer. Grrr... too late, I've got the itch! I NEED to dive!

Moodiejeff:
I hear ya... it's tough for us vacation divers to make any judgements as we're lucky to visit these individual sites at best a few times a year. I've always noticed piles of broken finger corals, even before the hurricanes. I'm no expert but it seems pretty obvious they are very fragile. Wave action & divers fins can really take their toll as well.

Post-Emily I definitely saw a looong pile of broken finger corals during our safety stop off Chun Chakab but how much is due to the hurricane and how much is due to "normal" storm damage I don't know. This was on the sand flats past the reef. Besides that, all three dives there looked great to me... I'm going to have to say it's probably my favorite site. It's always good for a Nurse Shark or two, definitely some Turtles and large Groupers. Best part is you generally have the reef to yourself, not many ops go there... at least on a regular basis. Definitely a Nitrox dive too as it's a very square profile.

Ah Crap! You got me sucked in now... Mia just said to me this morning how she noticed I haven't been posting too much. I said it's 'cause we don't have a trip planned. I like reading the threads but once you get involved in them it leads to that "yearning" to dive... We'll go back sometime this year but with nothing set in stone I'd rather take a backseat and be an observer. Grrr... too late, I've got the itch! I NEED to dive!

Jeff I am planning trip in August, Kevin and I both ewill be there. Maybe you should bring her down and we could do a warm up for the trip later on.

chuck86:
Jeff I am planning trip in August, Kevin and I both ewill be there. Maybe you should bring her down and we could do a warm up for the trip later on.

AUGUST????????? Not until AUGUST???????

And I think this is the first time I can remember that I don't have Jeff and Mia on the books for an upcoming trip. You all are killing me! Now I am going to be the one having withdrawals!

I have been tryin darlin but I can't seem to find anyone that wants to go. Linda flat refuses to let me go alone again and I am sure you can understand that. But maybe If I sweet talk her I can sneak away next month.

Moodiejeff:
Mia just said to me this morning how she noticed I haven't been posting too much. I said it's 'cause we don't have a trip planned. I like reading the threads but once you get involved in them it leads to that "yearning" to dive... We'll go back sometime this year but with nothing set in stone I'd rather take a backseat and be an observer. Grrr... too late, I've got the itch! I NEED to dive!

Yup, I stay away from SB too when I don't have a trip planned or a hurricane hits a favorite dive spot! Out of sight out of mind:wink:

Hey Jeff how about May 8 to 12 for a quick trip.

I think I can talk mama into it if you all could arrange the trip.

In fact I would almost bet on it. Christie do you have room for us if we can make it down there.

chuck86:
I have been tryin darlin but I can't seem to find anyone that wants to go. Linda flat refuses to let me go alone again and I am sure you can understand that. But maybe If I sweet talk her I can sneak away next month.

You need to sweet talk Kev too...or maybe I should...not only do I want to dive with you guys...but my BCD is LITERALLY falling apart...I don't think it's going to hang on until August...haha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom