Pinnacle wetsuit or other semi dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billygene:
Matt, what kind of layering have you used thus far with your Polar, especially in that 48 degree water? My question is whether layering helps or hurts when using the Pinnacle Polar? I've heard people mention that they felt warmer without layering because of the exothermic characteristics of the suit. Your thoughts?

I have not used any layering and have not seen the need to do so yet. Maybe someone that does layer underneath it can chime in with some more information so your question can be answered. The suit I have fits me like a glove and even if I wanted to layer under it, I would find it impossible. Happy Diving,

Matt

thanks Matt, see that you live in Woodstock. I'm in Marietta. Where do you dive around here?

Bill

Bill, I'll send you a PM so we don't hijack this thread.

Matt

Hi Paul, I have been trying to research the Polar, I found your thread and Corrigan's very informative, do you know where I can get pricing on 7mm and the new 8mm (since it's spring or was that - in '06?)? I dive in the Puget Sound, Low 40's and would like to hang up my Trilam shell suit and go back to wet or Semi Dry - sounds like the 8mm may actually be a semi-dry - correct?
Thanks!
JC

pgdive:
The Pinnacle suits are very well made; the company has been producing wetsuits in New Zealand for a number of years and recently came to the US market when they introduced the Merino wool lined suits.

We have sold the Artic (7mm jumpsuit) and the Polar (7mm w/ attached hood) for the past year and now we have the new 3mm merino lined Seal suits in the store. The customers that have bought them have been happy with them.

Currently the warmest suit that they make is the Polar which has the attached hood, with big gasket seals in the wrists and ankles and the merino lining.

They are introducing a new suit in the spring that will have a dry zipper across the chest as well as Kevlar on the knees and 8mm heavy duty neoprene in the torso. It is going to be a bit more pricey than the polar.

Paul

Sea View:
Hi Paul, I have been trying to research the Polar, I found your thread and Corrigan's very informative, do you know where I can get pricing on 7mm and the new 8mm (since it's spring or was that - in '06?)? I dive in the Puget Sound, Low 40's and would like to hang up my Trilam shell suit and go back to wet or Semi Dry - sounds like the 8mm may actually be a semi-dry - correct?
Thanks!
JC

I have been diving a Pinnacle Polar all winter in 42deg water and it has been great. The seals do a great job of trapping the water, I am very impressed. High-quality comfortable suit. It also has a built-in neck seal / shoulder cape.

After a dive the water is still trapped in the suit and so warm I usually don't want to let it out.

Let's Dive!!!

Steve

billygene:
Matt, what kind of layering have you used thus far with your Polar, especially in that 48 degree water? My question is whether layering helps or hurts when using the Pinnacle Polar? I've heard people mention that they felt warmer without layering because of the exothermic characteristics of the suit. Your thoughts?

thanks, Bill

Ditto Matt -- I purchased a Pinnacle Polar to replace an old 7mm Oneill jumpsuit and have put about 10 dives in water ranging from 39-55 degrees. At 39 degrees (first weekend in April up here in NE), my extremities were numb after 2+ hrs of diving (hey, I did want to compare), but the suit worked like a charm. I actually did a 20 min dive test with my old suit first and then switched over and was clearly warmer. I would definitely recommend the integrated hood. Whether the Extreme is worth the extra, I don't know, but I'd be comfortable diving mid 40s water any day with this suit.

I also got the Pinnacle boots, and found that neoprene socks help a bit, but don't do much. My feet are the first to go numb, so would love to hear anyone else's review or test comparisons of cold water boots.

BTW, I don't layer anything in with the Pinnacle Polar, but imagine I would be more comfortable if I added a core heater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom