Places in Cozumel for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Everyone is different when it comes to thermal stuff. In the warmer months I dive Cozumel in a shorty and I am comfortable even when we dive three tanks, and I use a 3mm full with a beanie in the winter. My wife doesn't use a wetsuit there even in January. The water temp last January was a pretty consistent 79F, and in May it was five or six degrees warmer.

That's true..I dive in a t-shirt and bathing suit all year long in Cozumel no matter when we go.

ggunn:
Safety stuff is good, of course, but I don't think they'll be doing Maracaibo just yet... ;^)
One would hope not, it's a little rough on the surface for total greenies.

I would suggest keeping a pair of gloves in your dive bag. We were on a boat with some divers one day who wanted to dive the C-53, and we had to borrow gloves (thanks again Scott and Samara). I wouldn't want to dive a wreck without gloves. Again, not a dive for newbies, but it never hurts to get in the habit of being prepared.

Most dive shops below town allow you to do a deep then a shallow dive or you can just do the shallow ones as they return to the pier between dives. You pay by the tank so your not loosing any money. Maybe plan for a single shallow dive for the frist dive. Most shallow dives are around <60' and no swim throughs. Last time I dove with Pro Dive from the Alegro resorts. They do 2 morning dives(1 deep and 1 shallow) 2 Afternoon dives( 1 deep 1 shallow) and 2 twilight dives ( both shallow one dark0. You can sign up for which ever dives you want. Once you get confortable you can do up to six boat dives a day. Make sure to use a computer to watch your dive profile.

Anther chiming in to letting the dive shops know what your level is and what you would like to do first and once on the boat telling the DM the exact same thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom