Places to be left alone while diving warm water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire will probably be cheaper than most places in the US.
Beat me to it. Even flying to the Philippines would save some money.

I find it difficult to find someone to dive with sometimes, going alone is routine. Even in Alona Beach where so many tourists from so many places are abundant I didn't find it difficult at all to get left alone. I got to go on a boat to Balicasag after demonstrating enough skill not to damage the habitat or get hurt and they left me alone in their best dive sites.

I live in Moalboal and I walk to dive from my house almost daily to see my favorite turtles.

I'm thinking both coasts will be chilly water. Personally, Florida diving this time of year is too cold for me. Cozumel always works. You could rent tanks and go out at Tikila (and other spots). Maybe someone on the Cozumel forum can speak to whether they insist on you having a dive buddy. When we've been there it hasn't looked like anyone is policing things. There are a few hotels with good snorkeling too. Cheaper to get to and stay at than Curacao or Bonaire (from what I've seen when I researched it - but maybe there are some good deals right now?).

I never associated the US west coast with warm water diving. The weather may be warm but (IMO) the water is chilly.
I can live with mid-50s water, but when the air is low-mid 30s and you are already chilled before you get to the beach...

I can live with mid-50s water, but when the air is low-mid 30s and you are already chilled before you get to the beach...

That’s the option “locally” ish here in NM.

Our blue hole is 62 deg year round and I find that to be pretty cold. 7mm suit for me.

In the winter daytime highs are in the 40s on average.

I’d jump at any opportunity to go to the Caribbean or Hawaii instead of diving here in NM in the winter.

BHB is a great dive. Only somewhat downside is that it is a once-a-day, tide-dependent dive. Are there good shore dives around SE Florida that are not tide-dependent?

Edit: There's always Bonaire and Curacao, and slightly closer (maybe) USVI St. Croix, if OP wants/needs to stick with U.S. territory.
Broward County, Ft. Lauderdale area has decent beach diving, but it is very dependent on the winds. If you can get a parking spot, pretty much anywhere you can dive. Nobody is policing it for buddies. I solo all the time off the beach.

True BHB is once a day.. and with how shallow it is, one can easily get a 2 or 3 hour dive. You can dive it thoughout the day, just limited to the snorkel trail when the current is strong.

Back
Top Bottom