Planning on ditching the dive computer and moving on with my life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phew ... that's quite a set of rules ... I don't think that diving with them would be my cup of tea ... they seem to have a lot of rules revolving around depth and decompression status what were made without either much understanding of decompression models or any reference to standards concerning shipboard diving that were developed by experts.

I dont much care for the rules either.One of the reasons I have not been on a regular trip for some time.

To be fair they are just being cautious as the Flower Gardens are 100 miles offshore and thats a long ride home.

The references that I provided are predicated on diving four days steam from a helo evac point. 100 miles out is nothing, well within helo range.

Phew ... that's quite a set of rules ... I don't think that diving with them would be my cup of tea ... They seem to have a lot of rules revolving around depth and decompression status what were made without either much understanding of decompression models or any reference to standards concerning shipboard diving that were developed by experts. (Final Report on Shipboard Scientific Diving, SCIENTIFIC SHIPBOARD DIVING SAFETY: ADDENDUM REPORT, and Proceedings of the AAUS Dive Computer Workshop)

I got to their list of rules by clicking (naturally for me) on a link to:

"Research Services, Boat is available for various research projects, >> More information."

But no information concerning research diving was available, just a set of rules that I'd find unworkable for research operations.

I suspect they may not have that link set up correctly. It is taking me to the same page as their Sport Diving trip so there may be something different for Research Diving. They also conduct an occasional tech trip with different rules. For Sport Diving (recreational diving), their rules on depth and planned deco seem fairly reasonable to me.

I suspect they may not have that link set up correctly. It is taking me to the same page as their Sport Diving trip so there may be something different for Research Diving. They also conduct an occasional tech trip with different rules. For Sport Diving (recreational diving), their rules on depth and planned deco seem fairly reasonable to me.
They may seem that way to you, but even for recreational diving (accepting 130 foot and no-D as cast in stone) they still make little sense. For example, a diver who makes two deep no-D dives back to back with an appropriate surface interval is far less dangerous than a deep dive followed by the same surface interval, followed by a longer shallow one.

They may seem that way to you, but even for recreational diving (accepting 130 foot and no-D as cast in stone) they still make little sense. For example, a diver who makes two deep no-D dives back to back with an appropriate surface interval is far less dangerous than a deep dive followed by the same surface interval, followed by a longer shallow one.

The Spree (sister ship to the Fling) dropped the 100 ft restriction on subsequent dives this year and just went with 130 for all dives (as long as you were diving a computer, I believe). There isn't really any shallow dives at the Flower Gardens except perhaps a rig if you elect to stay shallow. Most dives will be in the 70 to 90 FSW range just to get to the bottom.

Generally, there is little reason to go below 100 ft there but when a reason arises, it is nice to be able to do it. Every time I've seen divers violate depth limits, it has been a case of the divers just not paying attention to their depth.

Dive tables are great as long as your religously practice you use them and not take them for granted! I agree with "neras" set it in gauge mode and use it as a back up. Was diving in the Caribbean and my computer failed but had a back up analog gauge and my watch...guess what. My dives continued through out my vacation without a dive missed. "Redundancy"...does the mind good.

The references that I provided are predicated on diving four days steam from a helo evac point. 100 miles out is nothing, well within helo range.

But would the divers include 12 year olds that have just finished Junior Open Water ?

Some divers at the FG do not have a huge amount of experience.

So ... I would have to dive a set of rules designed to minimize the risks of a 12 year olds and inexperienced divers going to 100 feet 100 miles from shore? No thanks.

Phew ... that's quite a set of rules ... I don't think that diving with them would be my cup of tea ...
I wouldn't want to dive with them either. Two and a half hour surface intervals? On a liveaboard?? Jezuz.

Did you see their "don't bring your own snacks" rule? They're kinda rude about it too.

Please do not bring food or drinks to the boat; if you can’t make it 2 days without your Milky Way bars, turn them into the galley hands as you board the boat and they will keep them safe for you.
And god help you if you get the munchies after midnight. I wonder if a Milky Way Bar violation means you have to miss meals for the next 24 hours.

I missed the snack rule, but then I ignore that everywhere ... we try and eat organic, low salt, low fat, etc. Very few places are capable of providing that. We bring our own food most places ... theaters, picnics, dive boats, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom