Planning trip to Philippines (Anilao and Malapascua) - OR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Centrals - I do have the time to take getting around. Just want to make sure we pick the best spots to dive for our tastes. We probably will not be coming back to the Philippines after this trip. I am guessing probably more time should be spent in Anilao than in Malapascua? How many days do you recommend in Anilao? Thanks :)
How much time do you have?
If you are NOT coming back to Philippines in the future then I would suggest you should spend as long as possible in the country as the dive sites are really diversifed.
As someone had mentioned already, the sardines in Moalboal is really something else. And the whaleshark in Oslob is another top attraction but you might not like the presentation. Both Moalboal and Oslob are within touching distance(2hrs by car) from Cebu City.
Anilao, Malapascua, Moalboal and Oslob would cover FOUR completely different areas.
You have to decide how to allocate your precious time.

1. Anilao is 3 hours from Manila by land so its an easy trip. Macro is fantastic and shallow. Dive sites are no more than 15 mins away (depending on your resort). Viz is spotty but generally good at this time of the year.

2. Malapascua is a tedious trip: 1 hour flight + 4hr land + 30 min boat. The island itself is a magnificent place to relax and enjoy the sun in peace - parties and loud music is uncommon. Dive sites are about an hour away from boat. Macro is good too, but theyre deeper (60+ feet) so you have less time to take pictures.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dive sites are about an hour away from boat. Macro is good too, but theyre deeper (60+ feet) so you have less time to take pictures.

I have to disagree with the above statement. While some dive sites are an hour away, there are many sites nearby as well. The macro sites are generally shallow.

For example, Gato Island is an hour away, and has fabulous macro in the shallows. Evolution House Reef, as the name implies, is right out front of Evolution Dive Resort, and is also a fantastic dive site for macro, and is shallow. The thresher sharks at Monad Shoal are at 60+ feet, but that is not what one would consider a macro dive (although my friend did see a blue-ring octopus there!).

I do agree that Malapascua has a great, laid-back, beach ambiance that gives one a true sense of the real Philippines.

I agree with Gato. And the lighthouse...shouldnt miss out on the mandarin fish shoot. It just generally felt that things were kept deeper in Malapascua...in comparison to shrimps on Anilao which were in about 20ft of water.

Should be fun either way. Best fishes :)

If you're choosing to do just one then i suggest Anilao, but if you're able to do two, why not. Both gives equally good stuff to see.

Thanks everyone for sharing what they know about all the areas I mentioned. I really wish I had more time to spend at all three locations. I think that going to Dauin is probably out for this trip. My biggest problem is being away from work at that time of the year and taking my son out of school. I had been thinking about spending 5 days at Anilao and 5 days at Malapascua. I also figured that traveling to both places would take up a significant amount of time as well. A day trip to snorkel with the whale sharks is also on our list. I have been kicking around the idea about doing the underground river in Palawan if worthwhile but really hate the thought of taking so much time to get there, if its not real exciting? It sounds like alot of people recommend Evolution resort. I had been looking at Exotic Island Dive Resort...would appreciate thoughts on choosing between the two of them. I would rather have better dive guides than be at a nicer resort if I had to choose between the two. Also for Anilao, does anyone have good recommendations for resorts? I heard that Club Ocellaris has really good dive guides. What are thoughts about that place or is there another place there that someone can recommend? The website for Club Ocellaris doesnt really give much info. By the way, I love the pictures and youtube video. Makes me want to get there quicker! Thanks in advance.

For Anilao, I strongly recommend Aiyanar - safe choice for first time visitors to our country. I happen to know one of the owners. PM me if you need help making arrangements. If you are conscious about the budget, I recommend Mayumi Resort - their food is terrific :)

I've dived a couple of times with Evolution this year. I also found their guides great at finding macro stuff, very patient with great eyes.

TSandM - Curious as to what kinds of weird and wonderful things you saw off Atlantis Dumaguete. I noticed my regular dive shop has a trip going to that place in August. As for Apo Island - besides the coral reef (which I would love to see - but my son is not quite as fascinated with that stuff as me) what else is that area known for? Thanks for sharing :)

---------- Post added November 4th, 2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

Tippytoes - glad to hear that there is good macro subjects in Malapascua as well. Where did you stay at to go diving in Dauin?

---------- Post added November 4th, 2014 at 09:38 PM ----------

Thanks Centrals - I do have the time to take getting around. Just want to make sure we pick the best spots to dive for our tastes. We probably will not be coming back to the Philippines after this trip. I am guessing probably more time should be spent in Anilao than in Malapascua? How many days do you recommend in Anilao? Thanks :)

Once in Liquid and once in Pura Vida. Liquid is wonderful but does not have air con. Last time we went in June we went to Pura Vida as we thought LD might be too hot. This is also lovely.

So Malapascua and Dauin both have mandarin fish sunset/night dives. Generally speaking though, when it comes to weird macro stuff, Anilao can't be beat. And when you get sick of looking for stuff in the muck, just ask the dive guide to take you where the current's strong, usually Beatrice or Sombrero Island. I love those sites. The fish life and the corals rival Indonesia's Komodo Island. As for resorts in Anilao, I've only stayed at Aquaventure and Planet Dive. I prefer the latter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom