Planning trip to Philippines (Anilao and Malapascua) - OR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exotic has developed beyond recognition from my first visit back in 2002. Too big ie. too many divers even they have several boats.
Evolution is about the right size and the food is better as well.
Aquaventure in Anilao was not bad. But I still find the unique pricing structure in Anilao so ridiculous that I refuse to go back again.

503e6fcb14608dcf795b96c80833dbcd.jpg

Sharing this for reference. Taken at Secret Garden, Anilao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dive sites are about an hour away from boat. Macro is good too, but theyre deeper (60+ feet) so you have less time to take pictures.

As Rob has pointed out this is just not really true. There's plenty of macro within 15mins and shallower than 20ft if you want!

Exotic has developed beyond recognition from my first visit back in 2002. Too big ie. too many divers even they have several boats.
Evolution is about the right size and the food is better as well.
Aquaventure in Anilao was not bad. But I still find the unique pricing structure in Anilao so ridiculous that I refuse to go back again.

I've also dived both Anilao and Malapascua. I just got back last night from a 10 day trip to the Philippines. I spent 8 days at Malapascua diving with Evolution for the 2nd time (my third trip to Malapascua).

I'm a bit surprised that the "unique pricing structure in Anilao" doesn't see more discussion. Unless things have changed significantly since I dived there in 2008 (and I've never seen anyone jump in to say it has), then if you dive during the week in Anilao you can expect to pay roughly double what you would pay diving anywhere else in the Philippines. In Anilao you paid for the boat and crew. This means if they boat is full then it's pretty cheap to dive (which would be fairly normal on the weekend when divers from Manila come down). If you're the only one on the boat, you foot the entire cost. If you're really into u/w photography then maybe it's worth it to you (it was to me). If not then one of the other areas might be a better choice. If money is no object then by all means go to Anilao. You won't regret it. The diving really is amazing there, but so are other places in the Philippines where it's less expensive to dive.

For what it's worth, I've made 7 trips to the Philippines (yes I know some people have made more :wink: ). On 2 of those trips Malapascua was a part of them, and on this last trip when I had limited dive days so could only choose one destination, I chose Malapascua..... Just my two pesos worth :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom