Plate positioning on back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I raided our equipment room and got my hands on a 10,4L Luxfer aluminium cylinder and a 10L Faber steel.

The Luxfer's Divetek valve is ~70mm (~2,8") from top to where it is threaded into the tank and ~170mm (~6,8") from top to the shoulder of the tank.

The Faber's valve is ~60mm (~2,4") from top to where it is threaded into the tank and ~140mm (~5,6") from top to the shoulder of the tank (although this was harder to measure because it too has an irritating net).

So I guess if I have no luck adjusting the harness (which I still intend to spend a lot of time doing) then I'll just switch to a 10L steel instead of a 12L. I can deal with the head issue _if_ I want to do some deep dives and need the extra air.

Good,

You have a couple of alternatives to try. Let me know how it works out.

Tobin

Well, I seem to have resolved my issue ... I think.

To cut a long story short, I decided to start from square one again and rig up my harness according to the recommended 'norm' (shoulders 3 finger widths loose, plate just below vertebrae etc) so that I have a baseline to work from.

I swapped out my tank for one with a slightly shorter valve as well.

And then on my dive I had no issues! I don't know whether it was the shorter valve, whether I had not gotten the 'recommended' fit right the first time or whether I just started feeling more comfortable with the idea of the first stage touching my head (because of all the reassurances that this was normal) but I didn't get creeped out by my tank anymore.

I suspect that it was a combination of all the factors. I could definitely feel the tank if I pushed my head back enough but it wasn't there all the time nor was it too much of an irritation.

Anyway, I'm now going to dive a number of times without changing ANYTHING and see if the situation stays 'fixed'. Knowing my luck it won't because I only got it right by fluke and won't be able to reproduce it. But hopefully I will get lucky and will have done things correctly so that the dives will go as smoothly as my last one.

Wish me luck. :D

Well, I seem to have resolved my issue ... I think. ... Anyway, I'm now going to dive a number of times without changing ANYTHING and see if the situation stays 'fixed'. ... Wish me luck. :D
Good news, thanks for the follow-up, post back to this thread after you dive the rig for a while, to let us know how it turns out. And, since you requested it, 'Good luck!'

Well, I seem to have resolved my issue ... I think.

Great!

I suspect that it was a combination of all the factors.

Probably each played a part.

Anyway, I'm now going to dive a number of times without changing ANYTHING and see if the situation stays 'fixed'.

Good Idea. Good luck. Time and familiarity with new gear will only help.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom