Please Help! I need to get over this fast!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver with about 7 logged dives and currently I only have one problem and that's breathing with out a mask on. I just get this anxiety that I can't breathe in when I don't have it on or am not holding my nose. While at a quarry with a group yesterday our instructor had us flood our masks and clear them. As soon as i flooded it and put it back on my face, I freaked out and wanted to bolt to the surface. I cleared it fast with out bolting, but I want to not have to worry at all when we do things like this. When I snorkel with out a mask, I have no issue. Also, when I remove my mask or flood it while holding my nose I don't panic at all. I can remove and replace my mask flawlessly while holding my nose. I would like to get over this fast as I believe mask and regulator removal and replacement are very important skills to be able to preform with out panicing. If anyone has any ways i can do this in a pool or anywhere else (just not in a quarry/ocean) only because I do not have access to tanks or weights. I do have all other gear (bcd, reg., fins, mask, snorkel) though. Anyone who has had this problem and overcome it...please offer some advice! Thanks!

The advice I've seen on this is to practice, practice, practice (in a safe environment). The more you expose yourself to the act and get used to it, the more natural it will become until it doesn't bother you anymore.

Practice -- in a non-threatening envinroment.
Familiarity breeds comfort.

Go to your local pool... (one with preferably 7 feet depths, if not you'll need to kneel), and practice, where you don't feel the anxiety as vehemently... Do it over and over again. Go deeper... do it again, and again.

Return to your quarry, and use the training platforms (20 or 30 foot)... hold onto the rail, or upright, with one hand, and remove your mask with the other. Practice.

You'll be fine... it's all about overcoming an unnatural feeling via repetition.

Good luck. Dive safe.

You can practice this in the bath tub or the side of a shallow pool. Face in, breath out through the nose slowly, face out, inhale, face in breath out of the nose slowly, face in, face out. The practice with the mask.

As many time as I have done it in my divemaster internship, it is still is an awkward feeling. I guess I'll have to do it even more times. I've done it again and again with my son, and he has done it more than most divers have .... and he still has difficulty with it sometimes.

It is not a comfortable feeling, and it takes practice.

I had this same issue. It took me several tries and lots of talks with myself to overcome it. Finally I did it by exhaling through my nose for the entire minute I had to have the mask off. I still don't like taking off and replacing the mask but at least I know I can do it if my mask gets kicked off at 60'. You can also practice in the pool with a snorkel. You absolutely have to get the mask clearing skill done. You will use it frequently. As of today I only have 9 dives logged but already I have cleared my mask many times. Each time it gets easier. I almost quit over the mask removal skill. I decided that snorkeling would be fine for me. But today, 55' down after seeing sea turtles, spotted eels and a goliath grouper, I decided that this is the best sport ever! If I can do I am sure you can!

Welcome to Diving and SB Littleone! You have already taken the first step to conquering your stressor. I to struggled with mask skills at first, it was very frustrating! Take heart and commit to seeing it through you can and will win in the end!
It took me about 3 months to finally get comfortable, the more frequent you dive the better. Train in the pool at first, and then the quarry. I found it easier to start in the pool, just get to it. It can be fun to play mask skill games: pass the mask, mask tag, etc. Make it fun and anxiety will fade away. I started plugging my nose to but it actually makes the water tickle worse. In the end, it will be a strength instead of a weakness and it will allow you to help others who struggle. It really is mind over matter. Don't let anyone beat you down! Just hang in there, it will be fine!
Was it Gilboa that you were diving? That is our favorite place to train OW. Feel free to PM me if you want encouragement or any more ideas. CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

This thread, (link below)started by my husband when I was in Ow class, helped me a LOT!! It may take a while to go through, but it's worth the read. There are a LOT of very helpful, and encouraging replies.

If this is something you really want, just hang in there and keep trying. I hadn't taken my mask off since my OW checkout dives, and I did yesterday, and all went well! I even got water up my nose, but it was all good.

Rhonda:D

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...diving/190890-needed-words-encouragement.html

as everyone else has said, practice in a non-threatening place like a pool. I'm still pretty new, but I'm coming to learn that many of the basic skill are important in ways I hadn't thought of. I was recently diving with a new mask off myrtle beach and it was flooding and felt uncomfortable . I would clear it but as I went down the anchor line I realized I was getting a squeeze because it was too tight. I was following my buddy down so I didn't want to stop on the line, but when when got to the bottom I let my buddy know I was having a problem and I just sat down in the sand, took my mask off, fiddled the straps, put it on and away we went.

just stay with it. you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom