Please help me select a semi dry suit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was going with what one would keep me warmer, From reading only and not seeing these in person it's hard but sounds as if the Oneil J series would keep you warmer. But it also sounds like the Xcel Polar would be a little easier to get on/off and strecher so possible more comfortable and easy to move in. But as I said earlier 2 semi-dry's I can say If were to get one would be the Bare or Pinnacle. From reviews those are the 2 warmest, and I have seen.

I have never used a semi dry but certainly Bare has an 8/7mm with a dry zip. Regular zippers are certainly a large cause of water getting in and out of a wetsuit, so it might help.

I personally have used a bare arctic 7mm full + 7mm hooded vest, and been comfortable in southern Ontario diving. I do have a drysuit now that I will be trying out real soon. Wetsuits are just a pain to get on an off.

I was thinking that too, but I was looking at the specifications for the other ones, and thought they were just as warm. I think that the O'Neill one will keep more water away from my skin, and thus I will feel warmer. I think it will accomplish this by controlling the water that does get into the vest, and channelling it in between the 2 layers.

If I don't get any more opinions by this afternoon, I'll order it!. :)
Then, of course, I will post my review of this suit. :)

With 41 degree water and my 12mm Otter Bay hood I would get an ice cream headache. In fact I get an ice cream headache in 48 degree water. The advice above about skipping a wetsuit and going straight to a drysuit is the best advice I have seen so far.

Of those wetsuits I do not like any, since they are not dry!

Must buy new? Do you always buy a new car? There is nothing wrong with a lightly used vehicle and the same holds true for drysuits. Plus you can get a brand new drysuit for under $1,000. Even wearing fleece under it will be warmer than a semi-wet wetsuit.

BTW I own a Pinnacle Polar with integrated hood, and do not feel it is warm enough for diving our local "warm" waters.

I just picked up a brand new Pinnacle Polar semi-dry online. Haven't dove with it yet, as it seems the legs are a few inches too long and thus are hard to zip over my boots. I've been considering diving dry for some time, but was also tempted by the far less expensive semi-dry concept. Any other complaints about the Pinnacle Polar?

Any thoughts on the sub-$1000 ScubaPro EverDry 4?

Don't know the brands you listed. I have used a Scubapro Nova Scotia semi-dry and can really recommend it.

I decided to go with the O'Neill J-type semi dry. Although I wish I had this suit a couple months ago, this suit is warm as heck! hehe! It does allow a little bit of water to get into the suit (hence "semi-dry"), but that little bit of water heats up very quickly!
In testing 2 nights ago in the St. Lawrence river, where the water temperatures were in the low 60s at 24 feet deep (shallow wreck dive), I found that I was very comfortable temperature-wise. When I got out of the water (around 8:30 PM, 70's), I found that when I took my suit off, I was very warm underneath it. This means this suit is not gonna be good once it gets warm out. Luckily I have that taken care of! hehe!
Regarding fit: check online with all the dimensions and weights they list to make sure. I got very lucky, but at first I thought I wasn't: I had no idea about suit lubrication. Completely forgot all that was mentioned during OW classes (they did talk about it once). It was so hard to get on, that I was wondering if this was a good match for me or not! Well, after getting some suit lubricant, I can tell you that it fits amazingly well! I don't have that chest constriction where I feel breathing is hard. I could squat down, and bend in any way that I normally could.

Cons: the suit is a pain to don. Once you figure out all the tricks (roll the legs almost all inside out, except a few inches), then it takes less time to put it on. But once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad considering the warmth it gives you - it's just that internal 5mm farmer John top is funky to get into.

More on this to follow when I dive deeper and colder.

I wouldn't recommend the Nova-Scotia. I bought one in April of 2008. The wrist & ankle seals willstick together & peal if you forget to powder thwem between dives. But my biggest bi*ch is the "T-Zip" zipper breaks down over time & leaks, filling the suit with water. Since your ankles are sealed the water fill up your legs, adding weight & ruining a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom