Please help - need advice on buying gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot resist and pleae know I am not trying to argue. All the car and bike analogies are funny. I have a t-shirt that says "If Harley built Airplanes Would You Fly in Them"---my answer--NO! They are over priced, under powered, ill handling and excessively noisy, unrefined, archaic machines. For cars, I drive Toyota, no flash, no status, just total reliability.
Dive gear is a really personal choice and buying gear to impress such as trying to buy the scuba gear equivelent of a Hardly is probably not a good thing to do. Frankly, I do pay attention to other divers gear because it can tell you a lot about them, especially if they are being teamed with you. Flashy NEW gear can be a dead give away for an inexperienced diver. Just buying the most expensive of everything out there is not going to guarantee anything but that you have spent more money than everyone else on the boat---does not proove a better diver or that the gear is any better either.
So, what do you do then, well you ask around--kudoos --you have done that, you rent and borrow if possible and you mature your diving requirments and then decide which types of gear are appropriate for that type of diving and then you ask people and observe people who do that type of diving and see what they use.Open water and warm water divers do not use the gear that cold water or deepwater or cave divers or wreck divers do and even when they do they rig it somewhat differetly. Anyway, you may have lot's of money but you want have it long if the only criteria is that it is the most expensive.
By the way, I like Mares regualtors and they are cool and they work really good. I also like my Oceanic Omega, my Tekna 2000s and my Calypso and my --well--on and on. The point is that as soon as you think you have the best--darn--something better comes along and then if having the best is important to you then you gotta go buy that too--or--you could just go diving with what you got. Take care--have fun. N

overexposed2X:
Get yourself an inverter for your laptop and if you have a cassette player in the stereo, you can go to radio shack and get one of these things that looks likes a cassette with a wire coming out of it. Plug that into the headphone jack on your laptop and you can play DVD's with near theatre sound!

Hey, what a fantastic idea... I don't have a cassette player, but I'm sure I can get an FM modulator so it'll play over the stereo. I'm all about wireless anyway. :D

When I did my GPS install, I included in it a laptop serial port "out" so that I could connect the GPS unit to the laptop, and using software like TopoUSA, could have a "full size" color screen with REAL detail connected to the GPS.

...So with the additional DVD thingie and my vast collection of Mp3's, the laptop may find a permanent install in my truck, too. :D

SeaJay:
Hey, what a fantastic idea... I don't have a cassette player, but I'm sure I can get an FM modulator so it'll play over the stereo. I'm all about wireless anyway. :D

When I did my GPS install, I included in it a laptop serial port "out" so that I could connect the GPS unit to the laptop, and using software like TopoUSA, could have a "full size" color screen with REAL detail connected to the GPS.

...So with the additional DVD thingie and my vast collection of Mp3's, the laptop may find a permanent install in my truck, too. :D

Then you could get a little internet satellite disk, mount that on the roof, and tune into SB during your SI's :wink:

What I do is put my laptop on the cosole between the two front seats and then three of us can comfortably hang in the backseat. While it's not big screen, it still beats standing around in the rain. If money weren't an option, I would like to mount a large LCD screen that could flip down from the ceiling of the truck...

overexposed2X:
Then you could get a little internet satellite disk, mount that on the roof, and tune into SB during your SI's :wink:

Actually, my family owns a wireless internet service provider. I have several spots around town where I've built a hot spot... I could easily tune into those and check email, etc.

I'd want to make my truck wireless capable anyway, so that I can transfer Mp3's from my computer to my laptop in the truck without having to remove the laptop from the truck. Wireless rocks. Pull up into the driveway, and you're connected. Simple.

Dang, talk about a thread hijack, nice............I prefer the black one.

ShakaZulu:
Dang, talk about a thread hijack, nice............I prefer the black one.

Shak - you think that's good wait until SeaJay and I go over to this thread...
http://www.scubaboard.com/t76421-how-to-safely-ascend-with-spare-air.html

Come on SeaJay - we should be able to have some fun there!

Common sense tells me "never to argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you to their level and beat you with their experience."

Hey, SeaJay . . .
You putting any dives together around Christmas time?

Always! :D We dive twice a week at least, year 'round... Interested? C'mon! :D

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Ginnie/Ble Grotto/Devil's Den around the first of January... Wanna go?

Not cave certified. Sorry.

No worries... We won't be doing any cave diving... Just some open water and light cavern stuff.

...Thinking about hitting Rainbow with OneBrightGator and maybe even Paradise... No cave cert required.

Back
Top Bottom