Please tell me about hot water showers after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No hot showers or hot tubs was part of the NAUI curriculum that I was originally certified under. I put that in its' proper place when after my first certification dive with air temp of +27F and water temp of ~+40 we all jumped into a waiting tank that had been filled with hot water.

There was a story, supposedly true, that there were several Navy divers using hot water suits who got bent when working on a wrecked airliner off the East Coast. But they were diving deep, long duration and were being warmed in situ. Don't think there are any Amateur Divers(Rec, Tec, or otherwise) operating under such adverse conditions.

I seem to recall reading an article on this topic back in June or July of 2004. I believe it was in Alert Diver (DAN's) magazine but I could be wrong about that. Remember I am a married man and I have not been right about anything in 30 years. Just ask my wife.

Of course I can not find it now and no mention of it on DAN’s website. So it may have been another publication or I could be totally mistaken. The gist of the article was something about how blood supply moves from next to the bone when cold to closer to the skin when warm. That pink glow after a nice hot shower or hot tub/Jacuzzi of course comes from an increase in blood flow to the top layer of tissues to help dissipate the heat. That would leave nitrogen in the "deep" tissues without as effective a method of off gassing as there was present to deposit the nitrogen. This of course would result in slower off gassing of the deep tissues and possible trapping of a bubble. Added to that is the increased temperatures resulting potential increased bubble size. I belive they had this under the heading of early results and more study needed.

Interesting side note, there was a recent blurb in DAN about being slightly cool before a dive, during a dive and after a dive may lower the DCI risk. This was under the category of hmmm, interesting, we should look at that and do studies type of information. Not enough data to state a fact, but a slight difference in the statistics that merits a look.

Now my personal opinion, with out foundation, education or science, is that I would avoid hot tubs and hot showers for one to two hours after a dive when micro bubble formation is “at its peak”.

Please keep in mind I am not a doctor, scientist, or other person with any true knowledge on the above subject. Just, as my wife says, an opinionated (well, we can’t really put exactly what she says here can we?), uh, gentleman. So just this under the category of food for thought and it might be better to error on the side of caution.

I've been reading alot about dcs lately and this thread is really interesting. However, what you guys are saying is that, tomorrow I'm supposed to go on a dive in the Cape Ann area in Mass. Its suppose to be about 40 to 50 ot side temp tomorrow. So the water temp I guess will be about 50 to 53. When I come out of the water and freeszing my tootsies off, that I shouldn't go and get warmed up a bit in my truck after the dive.:D

Interesting topic. I had been led to believe that the actual theoretical mechanism was ralated to the fact that gases are less soluble at warmer temperatures and therefore more likely to come out of solution and therefore form bubbles. Of course i am no expert on gas solubility at different temperatures so what i read may be a complete load of crap.

On the practical side of things I have had hot showers after dives on many occasions without getting bent. the dive facility I often dive with has hot showers on site for divers returning off their boats - as far as i know they have never been sued for contributing to DCS as a result of providing hot showers :eyebrow:

I guess wether a person can get bent from a hot shower after a dive, is robably dependant on their individual physical condition. And how close they pay attention to their tables or computer.

BlueDevil:
... I had been led to believe that the actual theoretical mechanism was related to the fact that gases are less soluble at warmer temperatures and therefore more likely to come out of solution and therefore form bubbles...
From what I have read it has more to do with the bodies handling of blood flow and increasing or decreasing circulations in different areas depending upon if the body is attempting to lower its temp as it would be in a hot tub or hot shower, or to keep the blood warm as it would be during the dive when nitrogen loading is occurring.

BlueDevil:
... On the practical side of things I have had hot showers after dives on many occasions without getting bent...
True, many have done it. But for another person who may have more risk factors (nitrogen load [depth, length of dive, number of dives in the past "x" hours, SI], age, weight, hydration level, medical conditions etc) it might just be the factor that makes the difference. The articles I have read did not say it caused DCI, just that increased your risk and warranted more study.

STOGY: As for warming up in a truck between dives. I don't think that would subject the body to the same high temps that a hot tub, jaccuzzi or shower would and so would not have the same effect.

So what does it all mean? Who knows. maybe nothing.

Hello BlueDevil:

The effect of hot water following the dive is debated and not really obvious. One thing is certain, however, is that it is not the result of the change in solubility of the inert gas.

The solubility changes very little within the temperature range of the human body. There is no question that you can heat water by many tens of degrees and remove much of the dissolved nitrogen, but this temperature rise will not occur in the tissues of the body in a shower or a hot tub. :umnik:

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom