Point Lobos Conditions, July 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sunday I got reports of 70' of visibility (from reliable sources) out by Seamount, and even Monday I got reports of 40' shallow on the Great Pinnacle. So yesterday (Wednesday) I finally got out to the Great Pinnacle...and was sadly disappointed. All the way down to 120 fsw it was a maximum of 10' of visibility. Plankton growth is literally exponential as long as there is enough sunlight, something that has been in abundance in Monterey the past few days, and the plankton has simply exploded out there. What was interesting, though, was how many colonies of pelagic tunicates I could count just in a cu. ft. of water! They were very thick...it made the stops on the way up absolutely fascinating.

After the GP, we went over to Thumbs Up to see if it was any better. It looked way worse, so we bailed on Lobos and went up to Outer Butterfly. Conditions were much better there--about 30' of visibility from the top down.

These days, you truly don't know what you're going to get from one day to the next. Today could well be a totally different affair from yesterday. Now, if I could just figure out a way to explain that to all the people who keep hammering me for a report on what it's going to be next Sunday.

Bruce

I'd agree, it all depends. Lately we've had horrible conditions one day, and epic vis the next... you just have to show up and dive.

All the best, James

What is the water temp average there this time of year. My wife and I will be traveling there the end of the month for business. We are planning on extending our stay and hoping to slip in a couple dives. Wondering what we should bring for thermo protection.
Thanks

What is the water temp average there this time of year. My wife and I will be traveling there the end of the month for business. We are planning on extending our stay and hoping to slip in a couple dives. Wondering what we should bring for thermo protection.
Thanks

All northern California diving requires 7 mm or drysuit all year. Temps range from 44 to 55F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Average surface water temp at Lobos in late July is 54 degrees. it can vary about 3 degrees either way, and temps at depth will be mid to high 40s or low 50s.

Guy

Thanks Bruce.

We dove Lobos yesterday and the vis opened up to about 35+ ft by HITW.

It was only about 10-15ft near the beginning and on top of middle reef.

Back
Top Bottom