Yesterday’s Urchin Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Eric Sedletzky vis reports for carmel are gin clear currently. and its supposed to only get to the 70s this weekend.
Carmel is 3 hours plus for me.
I can be at sites within an hour from here or go up to Mendocino in 2 hours, and the diving is phenomenal up there.
I was born and raised in Carmel and it’s special place and dear to me, but I’m north of SF and it’s a different world up here. Getting through the city is not my favorite thing to do.

I found a few motels for $70 but I have no idea where they are in relation to the diving. I can't see spending a butt-ton of money on a hotel when I'd rather be outside. Clean sheets and good water pressure is all I need.
Only way to vacation. I'm just never there. What's the point?

How far is that?
Fort Ross is just south from Stillwater Cove a few miles. It’s a historic outpost/fort built by the Russians in the early 1800’s. They came down the coast after landing in Alaska in search of Otter Pelts. They have tours and it’s very interesting to see.
The cove down below Fort Ross is also a great dive site. There’s the wreck in the cove too which is not much more than a pile of debris now. It was the Pomona which was a 100+ foot mail/supply/passenger steam ship that went from San Francisco to Eureka on a weekly basis. It hit a reef just south of Fort Ross in the fog and made it to the cove before she took on too much water. All the passengers got off and no one was lost. The wreck was heavily salvaged by hard hat divers later and then dynamited.
There is a boiler, some plating, and a big drive shaft but no super structure or anything to go inside. The beach itself is great and one of our favorite places to beach dive.
If you look at a map, Fort Ross is north of Jenner on Highway 1, and is considered the first good dive spot north of the Russian River.

I really think you've hit on something here. I would totally gird my loins and join you guys for some cold water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom