Yesterday’s Urchin Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would flights be into san francisco or is there a better airport?

would flights be into san francisco or is there a better airport?
Depends on what kind of pricing you can find.
Generally people avoid SFO and try to get into Oakland. But flying into SFO isn’t a big deal. It’s just that SFO is pretty vast and getting a car etc. takes more time. Oakland is smaller and easier to navigate.
Then there’s our own little Charles Schulz Sonoma County Airport which is a small little airport in Santa Rosa. You wouldn’t be able to fly direct from the Big Apple but you might find a connection that would fly into SoCo.

Depends on what kind of pricing you can find.
Generally people avoid SFO and try to get into Oakland. But flying into SFO isn’t a big deal. It’s just that SFO is pretty vast and getting a car etc. takes more time. Oakland is smaller and easier to navigate.
Then there’s our own little Charles Schulz Sonoma County Airport which is a small little airport in Santa Rosa. You wouldn’t be able to fly direct from the Big Apple but you might find a connection that would fly into SoCo.
Snoopy airport? Awesome. I wouldn't be able to pull this off until probably next spring, at best. Airfare from NYC to SF at that time of the year is currently around $300 so not bad. Driving up the coast is pretty nice, if I remember correctly, although I've only ever done it on a bicycle.

Snoopy airport? Awesome. I wouldn't be able to pull this off until probably next spring, at best. Airfare from NYC to SF at that time of the year is currently around $300 so not bad. Driving up the coast is pretty nice, if I remember correctly, although I've only ever done it on a bicycle.
IMG_0636.png

I used to see a few of the small black ones on shallow rocks in the Bahamas. Never thought of them as more than a nuisance. A Japanese student in a group with me one time was very interested in eating them, but AFAIK , he never got around to it.
🐸

So what're the conditions in April?
It can be anything. Generally the Winter storms are over and it’s starting to warm up inland.
When it warms up inland it can cause wind at the coast because of warm air in the inland valleys lifting causing draw. When the wind comes up it draws up cold water from the deep Pacific offshore channel, so that’s why we have some of the coldest water in springtime. It can be wonderfully clear but very cold (46 degrees), or it can be warmer, low 50’s. Just like anywhere, there are generalizations but nothing is ever 100%. Just think of how many tropical trips people plan way ahead if time only to get blown out by hurricanes. There are no guarantees.
It also depends also on how much rain we get. Some late rains can come it and it can cause some runoff mud/debris, but usually by April it has already rained so much that the water runoff is usually pretty clean.
One thing about here, it never snows and it never freezes nor does it get too hot out on the coast. Even inland, temps would be in the low 70’s. There is also a ton of other stuff to do besides dive if the conditions do not cooperate.
I have no idea how equipped you are for cold water or your cold water experience level. But we’ll do our best to make sure you have everything you need to have a successful and enjoyable trip.
Meanwhile, you can take a look at Seal’s Watersports website and maybe even sign up for their free monthly online newsletter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom