• DIR or mostly DIR

Votes: 40 37.7%
  • Traditional or mostly traditional

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • Somewhere close to the middle

Votes: 33 31.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Fins,

I have enjoyed both your posts...and yes, I have definately learned something from this poll. I hope people that stumble across it will find it helpful also.

There is nothing more offensive to those of us who lost family in WW II than the flippant use of "Nazi". It might be fine on other boards but it is not tolerated here. All such references have subsequently been replaced with stars. Refrain from using this term in your posts unless refering to them in a historical sense. If you have any questions or comments about this, please feel free to PM me or another moderator on this board. This will be the last post in this thread that discusses the use of Nazi on this board. All others will be split off. Thanks for your compliance.

Thread split to http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32101 Please go to this thread to discuss censorship and it's relative merits.

Ok, so here we are asking whether someone is this classification or not. Of course, you have to dig a bit to uncover that DIR is an accronym for "Doing It Right" and everyone else is a traditional diver.

First, I asked myself, what group came up with this pompus name? After cruising over to Gue.com,,,the truth comes out when I see 2 words = "George Irvine".

Read about it more and it comes down to an equipment driven club and you better do as George says or you are a #%*&.

Years ago, when AquaCorp magazine was around. There was the Hog rig, the east coast wreckers rig and the sidemount rig to name but a few. Now leave it to George and his gang to come up and label the hog rig the "Doing it Right" rig. Of course, Halcyon markets many of components of the DIR rig.

I will tell you that I will not vote on this poll because the whole labeling DIR does nothing positive for the advancement of diving.

I refuse to become a part of some group of divers who refer to themselves as "doing it right" and the automatic inverse of this being that if you arent doing it their way, you are "doing it wrong"

Yawn. :snore:

TX65 once bubbled...
Ok, so here we are asking whether someone is this classification or not. Of course, you have to dig a bit to uncover that DIR is an accronym for "Doing It Right" and everyone else is a traditional diver.

First, I asked myself, what group came up with this pompus name? After cruising over to Gue.com,,,the truth comes out when I see 2 words = "George Irvine".

Read about it more and it comes down to an equipment driven club and you better do as George says or you are a #%*&.

Years ago, when AquaCorp magazine was around. There was the Hog rig, the east coast wreckers rig and the sidemount rig to name but a few. Now leave it to George and his gang to come up and label the hog rig the "Doing it Right" rig. Of course, Halcyon markets many of components of the DIR rig.

I will tell you that I will not vote on this poll because the whole labeling DIR does nothing positive for the advancement of diving.

I refuse to become a part of some group of divers who refer to themselves as "doing it right" and the automatic inverse of this being that if you arent doing it their way, you are "doing it wrong"

Yo big T,,, I read the overview and the majority of the gue site. Also, have read and had direct dialogue with many people who created these theories.

I have had many encounters with George via the e-world as well in person when living in Florida for a number of years.

As I told George, I believe George's presentation of his knowledge is lost in his manner and rhetoric, but George and I had our discussion and actually became quite civil.

As far as the holistic approach of being of sound mind and body and having the proper training to do the dives you are about to undertake. That is a fundamental of diving and many other activities in the water and out. No where do I see any organization out there proclaiming you can be an out of shape emotional wreck without proper training and be a safe diver.

I can object however to a labeling of "this is the right way" and the introduction of using an equipment set based on the ideas of a select group of cave and wreck divers. Yes, they have their base of experience, but it is not omnipotent.
I do not see involvement from the commercial, military, biological and hyperbaric research sides of diving in this ideology to make such a perfectionist statement.

Yes sir, my opinion is based on the commercial world diving mixed gas and diving deep so it does have qualification. I dive a rig that is the application of my knowledge and experience, but I have never proclaimed it is for everyone.

well, not having knowledge of commercial diving, I wouldn;t know where you are coming from...obviously as you introduce more or different risks in the commercial world, you have to have other ways to solve potential problems that are a result of doing something that wouldn;t be considered in the technical or recreational world.

As for integration from the military, the navy has an accetable rate of divers having to go to the chamber....I'm not big on the idea of riding in one, so I am going to do what I think is best to avoid that....

As for biology...o.k....fine...I don't see how biology has a whole lot to do with diving, but I'm in no position to discuss that.

As for hyperbaric research, I know very little, I do know the WKPP divers are doing research projects with DAN with the latest and greatest decompression theory...which is just that...theory...a lot has yet to be proven effective, so I can see them not integrating that until such time is fit.

I respect your opinions as a commercail deep diver, and though the holistic approach may not tailor exactly to your needs, you have evolved your own rig to fit what you think is best and suits your needs...sort of one of the fundamentals of diving...evaluate risk, minimalize what you need, etc.....a lot of sidemount divers have many needs that are far from ideal if they used a traditional hogarthian set-up. However, for virtually all recreational diving & probably a high percentage of technical diving, the hogarthian set-up is a very solid foundation to start learning diving techniques from, to progress with, and if I would see some need to change my rig to suit a specific condition I most certainly would, but I'm nowhere near that stage in my diving career.

Hey all,

Hmmmm, I dive DIR, or at least I try to. I think my approach to DIR is pretty basic.

When I feel safe in the water, I relax. When I relax, I dive better and have much more fun.

DIR is all about safety. (OK, and looking cool.)

Consistent gear configuration? Safety.
Streamlined gear? Safety. (And you look cool.)
Horizontal trim in the water? Safety. (And you look cool. And you don't silt everything out for other divers and your buddies. And you don't touch the coral.)
Finning techniques? Safety. (And you look cool. And you don't silt everything out for other divers and your buddies. And you don't touch the coral.)
Skills and drills that are practiced regularly and done while neutrally buoyant? Safety. (And you look cool. And you don't silt everything out for other divers and your buddies. And you can react to a problem swiftly and with the right response and not lose your buoyancy, and thereby save your own life or the life of one of your friends. Which is also way cool.)
Situational awareness and good buddy skills? Safety. (And you develop a totally different relationship to other divers and to the environment that demands high standards that you are challenged to live up to every day. And you can use the same skills on land, too.)
Fitness? Safety. (And you look cool. Especially in blue jeans.)
Healthy Diet and Lifestyle? Safety. (And it makes the rest of your life much better too.)
Strict adherence to and constant review and evaluation of all of the above? Safety. And you keep your mind open and active and learn to dive, and hopefully live, with your brain on rather than off.

Yep. That's why I dive DIR. :)

I just wanted to add a comment about George Irvine. I haven't met George but I read his posts and the stuff written about him and his buddies in GUE. The man does not try to impress people, convince them, or ingratiate himself either, that's clear. However, I think that the following statements about George Irvine are true:

*He knows alot, I mean alot, about diving.
*He has lost several people, including close friends, to diving accidents.
*Though he might not give you the time of day, he is willing to offer hard, valuable information he has learned by his own trial, error and injury, and from the tragic deaths of his friends, in order to help others stay alive and dive more safely.

I think that makes him a good man, and I don't particularly care that people think he's an *******. Maybe if he were nicer to people, there would be less controversy around DIR, but at some point it becomes absurd to reject information just because one doesn't like the way it's presented.

Margaret

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom