Poll: Do you dive with or without a snorkel?

Do you dive with or without a snorkel

• Always have the snorkel.

Votes: 82 22.8%
  • Never dive with a snorkel.

Votes: 154 42.9%
  • Sometimes dive with it, sometimes without.

Votes: 123 34.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60:
I'm a little suprised at the poll, I thought the no's and yes's would be closer. Do they not teach using a snorkel nowdays or do they teach it as an option?

Didnt you hear... snorkel is now an extra PADI course... and you get an awesome card for doing it!

I have been packing it, but I never dive with it. I hate the drag, entanglement issues with kelp, and the painful clips. I knew a guy that had his mask stolen at 60' by a seal in the Coronados. The seal grabbed his mask by the snorkel.

I have had surface swims, especially on beach entries, that would have been more fun if had a snorkel instead of swimming on my back and reversing my compass heading. I also like to look in the water when I enter. Some Florida surface swims can be 300 yards or more.

In a recent heavy kelp dive, I was able to return to the boat avoiding the kelp problems, by swimming at 20' solely by compass. We couldn't even see the boat or its shadow, but we somehow ascended right at the boat, midships! Actually I can probably swim faster underwather than at the surface. The Apollo fins are fast.

I just ordered an Agualung Snap roll-up snorkel that I will be carrying on dives, maybe in my pocket. Leisure Pro has it on sale for $14.95 right now.

New acronym anyone? would this me a S vs. NS debate?

For the record I am NS/MOF'ER for life!! :D

Never. Personal preference. Nothing has ever convinced me it's necessary. All of the arguments for can be countered quite easily. Personal preference, however, cannot.

The more experienced a diver becomes the less they feel the "need" of a snorkel and even argue the "entanglement" issue (it is a tough piece of equipment to handle underwater). I have heard from others that when you need one you really need it, then say, it may only happen on your last dive. I tend not to wear it but think having a rollup in my pouch is a convenient tool on some dives and think I've been well trained on the use of this complicated and potentially unsafe gear.

Time passes, weather changes, and crap happens.

I always have it, but keep it in my bc pocket.

I use it only when assisting with classes, but just got a folding one to keep in my bc pocket. I'll see how that works out.

I don't use one. Thought it was worse than useless since day 1 of the OW class.

If snorkels were efficient for swimming, then swimmers would use them. The truth is you get your air a lot faster, fresher and with less effort when you don't have to suck it through a tube.

The only place for a snorkel is for snorkeling: low effort paddling around on a calm surface. I don't even use one for freediving. When I surface I usually want a lot of air right now (yes I know how to clear the snorkel on the ascent, you still get air faster by opening your mouth and breathing).

You don't have to miss anything underwater even if you don't have a snorkel. Just stick your face in the water while swimming/waiting and turn your head to the side/front to take a breath. A couple billion people can do it, so it's clearly possible.

I think the problem is too many divers are poor swimmers, they mentally equate the tube with the hose and derive false comfort therefrom.

Alex

lowwall:
The only place for a snorkel is for snorkeling: low effort paddling around on a calm surface.

Actually once you learn to correctly breathe using a snorkel you are on your way to a very desirable scuba breathing pattern. Done right a vigorous swim is sustainable. The same is tru for riding some significant seas. In heavy seas my equilibrium is in more peril than my breathing.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom