Poll: Do you dive with or without a snorkel?

Do you dive with or without a snorkel

• Always have the snorkel.

Votes: 82 22.8%
  • Never dive with a snorkel.

Votes: 154 42.9%
  • Sometimes dive with it, sometimes without.

Votes: 123 34.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810:
I think it is a bad idea to tell people that it is "ok" to use up all your air. It is a safety issue.
You are right, it is not a good idea to use all of your air. It is even a worst idea to not use your air, because you were told that you need X psi when you return to your boat. That extra air is for emergencies or other unexpected events.
Dean810:
In rough seas, it beats getting an unexpected mouth full of water.
So why not put your reg in your mouth?

Been diving since 1978, never once had a snorkel entanglement, a seal hasn't tried to steal it, my mask has not been pulled off by it, I have not gotten bent because of it, a shark has not attacked it, eels have not slithered down it, amorous sea snakes have not tried to mate with it, it hasn't opened up a vortex in space/time in the Bermuda triangle, aliens have not probed me with it, nor any of the other malidies mentioned. (And I dive in kelp most of the time.)

Bottom line is, everyone's equipment configuration is different, depends on the diver, and what they are doing/where they are diving. Halibut hunting on a beach dive, you're gonna want a snorkel, penatration wreck dives, probably not. If you are instructing, standards require it.

Some people like 'em, some people don't.
A few beaches require 'em, most places don't.

Do what you want.

Interesting poll. It seems to indicate that 2 to 1 divers do not wear a critical piece of gear that could save their lives or the lives of their buddies. I didn't realize that divers had such a lack of common sense, but now I know.

The stories told here of how it can get in the way or cause a "tech" diver to become entangled are utter nonsense. The reality is that they don't think it looks "cool." There are obvious reasons why every major certifying agency teaches use of a snorkel... and that it is an essential and basic part of every divers gear.

Even if you don't like the way it hangs on your mask or makes you look "uncool," then you should at least have a foldable one in your bc or other pocket in case of an emergency. Tech divers of all people should know about being prepared for anything - yet they seem to be the ones most against having one.

I can give many examples of when it would be wise to have one... but I can't think of a single reason why it would not be wise to have one.

In any event, I hope that all of you "cool" people never find yourself in need of one... Safe Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom