Pony and Long hose routing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you tie the top bolt snap on the pony bottle a little lower on the bottle (i.e. further from the valve) it should bring the first stage closer to your head when slung. However, it would help to have a picture.

if you tie the top bolt snap on the pony bottle a little lower on the bottle (i.e. further from the valve) it should bring the first stage closer to your head when slung. However, it would help to have a picture.

To piggy back on this...many times i see pony/deco bottles slung very loosely, which makes a 40" hose seem shorter than it actually is. I like to clip the upper boltsnaponto the bungee that holds the SPG prior to attaching the snap to my chest D ring. by doing this the tank valve and first stage remains tightly adhered to my left shoulder, and making a 40" hose almost too long. Find a happy medium between comfort and versatility.

As far as your long hose, I'm 6'2 and i use an 8 foot hose...it fits nice and neat when tucked, but if I have to share through a really tight restriction its long enough that nobody is getting kicked in the face.

uqany4yp.jpg

ejesu3ep.jpg

My pony is slung from my left shoulder d ring to left hip d ring.

My chest is around 42" and waistline is 36".

I wear a DSS long pattern Backplate

If I were to guess, I'd say that maybe the pony is too far away, and also, I have not tried bringing it around my neck, but rather in front.

At the very least you need a swivel on that second stage. That will give you a lot more comfort and room with the hose coming from the left. I just prefer left sided seconds for left side bottles.

you could also move the hose up one port so it is coming out then down to the hose retainer. The 90* adapter will give you quite a bit more length but that reg should be coming up and behind your neck if you don't go to a lefty 2nd stage. Whole thing is infinitely more comfortable to work with the reg coming up behind your neck. May also want to consider sliding the retainer band down a bit and putting a bolt snap on the regulator and clipping it to the loop on the top bolt snap to keep it secure.

Can you post a pic of your backmount setup as well to see what the routing is doing on that?

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll post a set up of the long hose tomorrow morning as I have to head into work shortly.

My pony is slung from my left shoulder d ring to left hip d ring.

My chest is around 42" and waistline is 36".

I wear a DSS long pattern Backplate

If I were to guess, I'd say that maybe the pony is too far away, and also, I have not tried bringing it around my neck, but rather in front.

How is the hose not long enough when going straight from the first stage to your mouth, as opposed to going around your neck?

Are you clipping the top bolt snap of your pony bottle (i.e. the one closest to the valve) to your hip d-ring or your chest d-ring?

How is the hose not long enough when going straight from the first stage to your mouth, as opposed to going around your neck?

Are you clipping the top bolt snap of your pony bottle (i.e. the one closest to the valve) to your hip d-ring or your chest d-ring?
Top bolt snap to shoulder, bottom bolt snap to hip.

It is long enough to reach, but it pulls awkwardly, and in an emergent situation potentially distracting.

This is one of those things were I know that 1000s of people use this configuration without problem, so it has to be something I'm doing incorrectly.

When I go diving this weekend, I'll try wrapping it around my neck.

I think a swivel adapter in both would solve the problems, but I don't want to get used to something that later on in skill advancement won't be allowed

With regards to the long hose, it seems like it's either long enough or it's not, so the answer is get an appropriate length whether it's longer or shorter.

Top bolt snap to shoulder, bottom bolt snap to hip.

It is long enough to reach, but it pulls awkwardly, and in an emergent situation potentially distracting.

This is one of those things were I know that 1000s of people use this configuration without problem, so it has to be something I'm doing incorrectly.

When I go diving this weekend, I'll try wrapping it around my neck.

I think a swivel adapter in both would solve the problems, but I don't want to get used to something that later on in skill advancement won't be allowed

With regards to the long hose, it seems like it's either long enough or it's not, so the answer is get an appropriate length whether it's longer or shorter.

if you are going to try going around your neck, you might try rotating the first stage clockwise a quarter turn so the hose comes off the other side.

I am still a little puzzled by what you mean be "pulls awkwardly". The hose should have a lot of slack in it, so I am guessing that there is only a little bit of pull. Going around the neck will cause that little bit of pull to be pulling the regulator towards your face, instead of down.

I use a 40" hose on regs with no swivel, and use 36" hoses when there is a swivel, and both work quite well, but in all cases, the hose goes around my neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom