Pony bottle configuration

Pony placement and set up

• No pony or spare air

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • You wear a pony on your back tank

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • you wear a pony on your side

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • you're opposed to wearing a pony, why?

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, everyone on my boat uses 120s. I'm the only one using 100s. To answer your question, this styple of spearing means that 99% of the time you're seperated from your buddy. We'll always drop two or three divers on a ledge, wreck, or other structure, but you get seperated.

I started experimenting with doubles in order to have complete redundancy. A 120 is a lot of air, but it's still a single air source. Your high pressure hose bursts or something, you're in trouble. The subject of h-valves has come up, and I'm willing to take a closer look at that.

I'm still looking for the best solution. If I can't master the doubles, then I'm trading all of my 100s in on 120s, and will mount a pony to it. Also, I've started asking that on dives deeper than 100 fsw we buddy up and stay together.

The new Zeagle Tech is great with my single HP100. Not so great with the doubles, even with the backplate. Could just be my lack of experience with them. I want to now try a halcyon BP with explorer wing to see if I can get less sliding around of the tanks on my back. I'll probably pick-up a pioneer wing, as well, just to see how it fills with the single.

Certainly some discussion here! Some back ground first. A pony as I use it is a 40 or an 80 depending what Im doing. It will have a short hosed SPG bent and secured for visual purposes. I have one second stage on it, secured to the neck with a surgical hose band top and bottom on the tank. The 5 ft. hose is for what if's. Sure a shorter one would work. I use a 7 ft. hose on my doubles and singles set up for primary air. My second stage is shorter hosed, the same regulator as my primary, and worn around my neck. Yes, hand your primary first and get things under control. Then hand the pony over, clip it off and make a regulator exchange. As for the LP hose it's nice to have one if you want it. You can stay warmer, stay afloat, or stay under and swim as far as the air will take you. People are different! Some use a pony as a bail out. Some extend their range, and some with out doubles use this as a way of humping more air. I appreciate the discussion. Lets try to be open minded to other ideas though.

Just to let you guys know I regulary spearfish with doubles and a sling bottle. It has yet to cause a problem and if I think it might I could always switch my sling bottle to the hip D-ring. Just my 2 cents

I aree whit weck/tec we sould be open mind

I tell my student that if you want extend your bottom time twins are the better for that.but if you to going in to deco. you at least a 30cuft aul tank it is prefect for a stage bottle for dive to 200feet it is taller then 27 cuft tank. the 27 should the bigest you want to tank mount in my opinion.

I have an Al30 rigged exactly like my stage bottles that I use for a pony. I made a setup almost exactly like the halcyon stage kit. I use a SP reg with an SPG on a 6 inch hose folded back and a 40 inch hose for the second stage. I just find it more comfortable on my side than on my back. I do have a few buddies that like to put their pony's on their backs. It's all about what's comfortable to you.

Sorry, my pony doesn't like diving. He just likes walking around in the field eating grass. :eek:ut: :wink:

JamesK once bubbled...
Sorry, my pony doesn't like diving. He just likes walking around in the field eating grass. :eek:ut: :wink:

Slooow day huh?

Phil

Pug...

I found your comment about keeping the pony bottle valve shut off extremely interesting.

I have a 13 cuft pony bottle that I mount to my BC using the Ponease mounting system. I found it works pretty well. The bottle is mounted upside down (valve knob down) so that I can easily reach it to turn on or off.

I USED to always leave it off. The main reason was my regulator would free flow quite often and with only 13 cuft...not good.

When my local dive shop (and dive instructor) found out I did that he went berserk saying I was going to kill myself and people have come to me and said he was telling people not to dive with me because I was an unsafe diver. ((He also has a problem with the kevlar gloves I wear....but I think it is just because I didnt buy them from him))

I have since gotten my regulator adjusted....twice...by him....and now it does not free flow so I dont really have a problem with having the pony valve open....but I do keep my eye on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom