Pony bottle .. do i need one at this point ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
What's your next investment? Off topic...just curious.

--Matt
For Soggy. Probably a X Scooter

matt_unique:
The whole point of deco on something other than back-gas is to get you out of the water ASAP. For Spring deco dives on the Crane for example 2 minutes makes a difference.

If 2 minutes were that cut it that close from a thermal standpoint, I'd either 1) cut the bottom time back, or 2) just clip 2 minutes out from the schedule somewhere...it is such a small amount of time, it wouldn't have any significant effect.

What's your next investment? Off topic...just curious.

I'll be doing some training with NADE, I need another set of doubles, an al40 for O2...a few things. Just came back from cave training, so my funds are somewhat limited for the time being and I just want to dive for a while. Diving is too dang expensive.

Soggy:
If 2 minutes were that cut it that close from a thermal standpoint, I'd either 1) cut the bottom time back, or 2) just clip 2 minutes out from the schedule somewhere...it is such a small amount of time, it wouldn't have any significant effect.

I'll be doing some training with NADE, I need another set of doubles, an al40 for O2...a few things. Just came back from cave training, so my funds are somewhat limited for the time being and I just want to dive for a while. Diving is too dang expensive.

Yes well my point is we breath the deco mixes we breath to reduce the time required, a 30CF works fine for many profiles, and 70% is a best single gas for the profiles I used in my example in terms of time.

Diving is way expensive...as is the necessary accessories such as a boat. In terms of Entry Trimix I would like to do the course late summer depending upon $$$ flow.

--Matt

What was this thread about? Oh ya, Pony bottles. Always is the case, as soon as a new question pops into my mind, I can usually find a highly opinionated discussion about it somewhere here. :)

I'm currently trying to decided on my first tank purchase. Living in the Northwest I have the opportunity to do a range of diving all within a hour or so drive of my home (shore, boat, drift, etc.) The fact is, I expect to be diving a single tank only on shallow dives above 60 feet. If I run into a regulator malfunction or an out of air situation, my buddy's octo is my 'pony' and we'll be in a no-deco situation in probably about 40-50 feet of water. Now if we are talking solo diving, then that's a whole other story. (It ceases to amaze with with such concern safety, why anyone, with any configuration, would actually go diving by themselves? Well my buddy has and it is because he's a SCUBA ADDICT and can't find enough people to go as often as he wants to go - he "woke up" one time laying on his back at 120 feet on a solo dive once - not smart.)

Anyway my point is that if I'm going to anticipate doing a dive where having an ample supply of "backup" gas is highly desireable, I wouldn't bother with the extra expense of a pony when I already am diving doubles so essentially I have a 85 CF pony, don't have a balance problem, and if I want to do some crabbing at the end of the dive, I don't have a slung pony getting in my way. So essentially my contention is why dive a pony when you could just dive a small doubles setup instead? The best reason I can think of is if you have a long or tricky walk for a shore dive and don't want all that weight on your back.

jc2:
What was this thread about? Oh ya, Pony bottles. Always is the case, as soon as a new question pops into my mind, I can usually find a highly opinionated discussion about it somewhere here. :)

I'm currently trying to decided on my first tank purchase. Living in the Northwest I have the opportunity to do a range of diving all within a hour or so drive of my home (shore, boat, drift, etc.) The fact is, I expect to be diving a single tank only on shallow dives above 60 feet. If I run into a regulator malfunction or an out of air situation, my buddy's octo is my 'pony' and we'll be in a no-deco situation in probably about 40-50 feet of water. Now if we are talking solo diving, then that's a whole other story. (It ceases to amaze with with such concern safety, why anyone, with any configuration, would actually go diving by themselves? Well my buddy has and it is because he's a SCUBA ADDICT and can't find enough people to go as often as he wants to go - he "woke up" one time laying on his back at 120 feet on a solo dive once - not smart.)

Anyway my point is that if I'm going to anticipate doing a dive where having an ample supply of "backup" gas is highly desireable, I wouldn't bother with the extra expense of a pony when I already am diving doubles so essentially I have a 85 CF pony, don't have a balance problem, and if I want to do some crabbing at the end of the dive, I don't have a slung pony getting in my way. So essentially my contention is why dive a pony when you could just dive a small doubles setup instead? The best reason I can think of is if you have a long or tricky walk for a shore dive and don't want all that weight on your back.

So you "expect to be" diving singles above 60 feet and are "already...diving doubles" at deeper depths? Sounds like you have plenty of options. I think this discussion was aimed at the single-tank diver who might want some extra protection on certain dives. Not every newbie is ready for doubles (for a variety of reasons which would turn into another debate). Note every diver can afford to have all of the options -- singles, doubles, ponies in various sizes. I think I'm ready for doubles, but I don't want them -- in my opinion, not very practical for shore or small-boat dives...

ClassAction:
So you "expect to be" diving singles above 60 feet and are "already...diving doubles" at deeper depths? Sounds like you have plenty of options. I think this discussion was aimed at the single-tank diver who might want some extra protection on certain dives. Not every newbie is ready for doubles (for a variety of reasons which would turn into another debate). Note every diver can afford to have all of the options -- singles, doubles, ponies in various sizes. I think I'm ready for doubles, but I don't want them -- in my opinion, not very practical for shore or small-boat dives...

I generally dive a RB, but when I instruct OC and have access to only singles I take along a 40 or 30 slung bottle as bailout gas. The Luxfer 40, or 30 add very little in the way of incumberances + with my singles wing and plate it's an easy way to dive. It balances perfectly. It's nice insurance and something that has proven handy on one or two occasions with students. X

Having reached Quintagenarian status a few years back I find I have no desire to carry around on these old bones anything more than needed. Having said that, I happen to dive a single 120 with a 30 cu. ft. pony for the simple reason that all New Jersey dive operations require every diver has a redundant air supply, be it doubles, pony or stage bottle, or they don't dive. It is also good to know on those 5 ft. vis dives if your buddies not on your hip and something does go wrong we can all make it back to the boat. I don't know how many areas have this requirement, maybe it's a sign of things to come.

What the hell do Jersey dive operators know about diving anyway!

they must know something, they always stop the boat over a wreck.

I carry a pony when I lead dive trips. It sure came in handy when one of my AOW diver's primary reg blew at 50'. He switched to his safe second but his tank emptied before reaching the surface. I handed him my bottle, he made a safe ascent to the surface.
Do I recommend a pony, yes. I also recommend practice using one in a controlled area before taking it on a real dive. After all, equipment can fail, at any depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom