Pony bottles in check in luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC:
So, my question is......if you put a pony bottle in your checked in luggage with the valve hole totally open......is it a bad thing???

Open or closed, yes- it's a bad thing. In oh-so-many ways.

Stop the madness. Manage your gas. Just because a piece of equipmet exists isn't a reason to ask if TSA will allow it. Like big Spare Airs.

Other than to say- People, read the above post just before: there are today's rules. Now, be quiet and go dive.

Two things....

One...TSA's web site says you can carry on a pony...but they really wont let you. It also says....the valve has to be taken out...and the hole plugged in no way what so ever....meaning...no green screw in cap. It clearly states they will not take the time to simply unscrew the plug and put it back. So, I am not concerned about liquids leaking into the bottle as I know how to control and bag that...I just wasnt sure what the negative results ...if any...would be to take the valve out and put nothing over the hole. (I do like the tape idea.)

Second... Roatan man....your post is wrong in Oh-so-many-ways. If you dont like the thread. Stay the heck off of it.

Good question Rich from NC. I'm going to the BVI's in OCT. I plan on bring tanks with me thanks man good thread. Mark

RoatanMan:
Stop the madness. Manage your gas. Just because a piece of equipmet exists isn't a reason to ask if TSA will allow it. Like big Spare Airs.

What if the person travels with non divers and gets assigned a random buddy ? I'd rather rely on my pony tank than a lot of the buddy's I get paired up with.

What if the person or random buddy is a photographer or videographer ? I think we can all agree that photogs and video divers tend to drift away from their buddy.

I shoot video and don't think it is fair to ask my randomly assigned buddy to stay 1 fin kick away from me the whole dive. By the same token, if I am in the middle of filming something, my concentration is on my subject, not my buddy.

Diver Dennis:
Ron, it is not madness to dive a pony. Gas management won't do much for you if you have an equipment malfunction.

EXACTLY !

I am just getting dang tired of people coming on here and trying to force their beliefs on others. If you cant contribute...dont post.

Now that you have to put all liquids in your checked luggage it has increased the risk of leaks. The liquids in the bag will experience low pressure while in the air and may leak and get in the tank. I have had plentiy of suit cases full of oil, wine, sunscreen, water, etc. because their containers leaked when in the plane's cargo space.

JL

ScubaMike14:
What the heck are you talking about? He isn't carrying liquids in a carry on. He is carrying an empty pony bottle with the valve taken out. What is there to leak???

Mike Rushton

RICHinNC:
It clearly states they will not take the time to simply unscrew the plug and put it back.

I got stuck for 15 minutes at the X-ray machine because they couldn't identify my electric toothbrush as an electric toothbrush. They don't touch anything they can't identify and told me to quit moving. I had the pony in the checked-in bagage with the TSA rules (with the cylinder rules highlighted) and had no problem.

RICHinNC:
I am just getting dang tired of people coming on here and trying to force their beliefs on others. If you cant contribute...dont post.

More tired than people asking the same, repetitive questions that are easily found in archive? "Can I take my open pony on a plane in checked bags?"

TSA and regulations for your pony tanks has not changed. Everybody knows that. Read thier changes. It's easy.

Up until this thread, we all knew that whenever a tank was opened to ambient air (ie: breathed to zero), it had to undergo service. Plain and simple fact.

Condensation will occur as the freezing cold baggage is exposed to the sun on the runway in Mexico.

So balance that fact against your reality of needing your pony to dive what.... the sunny Caribbean? You're willing to ignore that well founded standard & practice?

You must continually visit www.tsa.gov and check their continually updated list of prohibited items and their procedures AND check with the airlines for their specific rules as well.

GOOD LINKS TO CHECK REGULARLY FOR TSA:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1012.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Sanction_Guidance_for_Individuals_7-15-2004.pdf
(pay particular attention to portion of this document stating "aggravating factors")

Minimize.:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom