Pony bottles in check in luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Condensation will occur as the freezing cold baggage is exposed to the sun on the runway in Mexico.
Is the cargo hold unheated? I know it is pressurised to the same extent as the passenger compartment and assumed the same would go for heating :huh:

ArthurGerla:
Is the cargo hold unheated? I know it is pressurised to the same extent as the passenger compartment and assumed the same would go for heating :huh:

Some are (they put pets in, right?) and some aren't (I have had ice-cold luggage flop onto the belt). That's my observation.

I have seen condensation form on top of my bags, I have had moist, freezing cold items deep inside my bags. Going to Moscow, a 14 hour flight, I had a bottle of water freeze.

homo maris:
Now that you have to put all liquids in your checked luggage it has increased the risk of leaks. The liquids in the bag will experience low pressure while in the air and may leak and get in the tank. I have had plentiy of suit cases full of oil, wine, sunscreen, water, etc. because their containers leaked when in the plane's cargo space.

JL

This I don't understand. The cargo hold is pressurized to the same altitude as the cabin. The whole tube fusilage is pressurized. Why would there be more of a risk of leaking in the cargo hold than in the cabin? The only real difference is that its colder in some parts of the cargo hold.

RoatanMan:
Some are (they put pets in, right?) and some aren't (I have had ice-cold luggage flop onto the belt). That's my observation.

Ya, if you are lucky to be in the first bay, you will get ample heat coming off the avionics racks in most large planes. Stuff behind the first bay doesn't get much heat...

Condensation is an issue...

Apparently things "obvious" to some isnt obvious to me. Like some attitudes obvious to me isnt obvious to them. Oh well.

Only jetliners have pressurized cargo bays. There are unpressurized aircrafts that fly below 10,000ft. They do not have compensated cabin or cargo pressure. Regardless, both behave identically.

Here is what happens in a jetliner (it's similar in an unpressurized craft).
The cabin pressure, and thus the cargo pressure, is set at 8,000ft (this is why your ears pop ) which is lower than the altitude many people take off from (e.g. sea level). The liquid container is often laying flat, with the air bubble floating on the top side of the bottle. The 8000ft pressure difference causes the bubble to expand, thus pushing the liquid against the cap and if the cap is no sealed tight, potentially creating a leak.

I hope that it helps you understand the process.
JL

Ice9:
This I don't understand. The cargo hold is pressurized to the same altitude as the cabin. The whole tube fusilage is pressurized. Why would there be more of a risk of leaking in the cargo hold than in the cabin? The only real difference is that its colder in some parts of the cargo hold.

Back
Top Bottom