Pool workout advice, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, but simming is a better body workout. I'll take gym and swimming any day over running and gym for improving general fitness/wellbeing overall.

Not me. Swimming requires a lot of technique to get the most out of it, technique which most people don't have. As a former swimmer (in the loosest of senses since I consider myself a former water polo player :)) I would run and lift free weights over swimming--which is what I do now.

However, if I was being dragged to the pool for familial obligations, I'd probably don the 'ole speedo and do some laps.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 10:32 PM ----------

Those who say swimming has no cross over to SCUBA just do not get it. It is the contribution to overall fitness, reduced SAC, water confidence, flexibility and aerobic stamina that are greatly improved.

Yup.

But swimming alone is insufficient for overall fitness.

N

Not true.

I'm a swimmer and rugby player who played water polo, so when people dragged me down, I brought them under with me. I swam through all of school so technique hasn't been a big problem. As a low impact fitness regime swimming is brilliant especially when combined with other activities.

Our most feared match used to be against the girls teams. They had no remorse and no hesitation in going for the place where good boys should never be kicked!

God I hated playing against girls. Scratches, kicks to the junk, hanging all over you. And the refs never called anything. Sometimes an elbow to the rack was necessary. I'm not proud of it, but I'll admit it.

Actually for UTD's Rebreather mCCR 3 Class, AG's swim requirement is a "slightly more challenging" requirement for the beginning/novice swimmer:
Must be able to swim a distance of at least 60 feet/18 meters on a breath hold. Must be able to swim at least 400 yards/365 meters in less than 14 minutes without stopping.

It's 100yd SHORTER than GUE's 500yd swim in the SAME amount of time... so not sure how that is "slightly more challenging."

60ft on a breath hold? That's not even a full length of a 25yd pool.

It's 100yd SHORTER than GUE's 500yd swim in the SAME amount of time... so not sure how that is "slightly more challenging."

60ft on a breath hold? That's not even a full length of a 25yd pool.
For a beginner/novice free-style/crawl siwmmer -just learning flip turns, keeping good form & hydrodynamic trim, alternating breathing left/right sides, and with no built-up anaeorobic exercise capability/reserve just yet- yes, I'd say that's very challenging.

For a beginner/novice free-style/crawl siwmmer -just learning flip turns, keeping good form & hydrodynamic trim, alternating breathing left/right sides, and with no built-up anaeorobic exercise capability/reserve just yet- yes, I'd say that's very challenging.

Challenging, yes. "MORE" challenging that a swim that is 25% longer in the same amount of time? I'm missing something.

Challenging, yes. "MORE" challenging that a swim that is 25% longer in the same amount of time? I'm missing something.
AG and the "blue drygloves of death" are going to make me freestyle swim his 400 yards/365 meters requirement on the MX Rebreather, alternating between switching the BOV from closed-circuit to open-circuit, to surface breathing alternating sides left & right as needed while stowing the Loop --all on the fly:wink:. . .!

AG and the "blue drygloves of death" are going to make me freestyle swim his 400 yards/365 meters requirement on the MX Rebreather, alternating between switching the BOV from closed-circuit to open-circuit, to surface breathing alternating sides left & right as needed while stowing the Loop --all on the fly:wink:. . .!

Oh, that!

:d

I strongly suggest the OP (and anyone who wants to swim for exercise) focus first and formost on proper swim technique. The reality is that, unless you were taught/coached to be a competitive swimmer, there's a 99% chance you're doing it wrong.

You're being generous. Of all of the people I've ever seen take a swimming test for diving, there has only been one who could really swim. And MAN could she swim. It was was a thing of beauty to see. It looked like someone was pulling her through the water with an invisible rope. I was pool-side--which is a good thing because it would have been embarrassing to even *try* keeping up to her--and she was pulling laps at a fairly brisk walking speed. Unbelievable. When you see it on the TV it's not nearly as impressive as when you see someone who can really swim in the water with people moving at "average" speed.

R..

Back
Top Bottom