Pool workout advice, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They look so neat. Tidy. I'm pretty sure I look... less so. I think it DOES translate to diving in that moving efficiently and relaxed like that in the water will remind me to move efficiently and relaxed in the water... now to figure out how to do it in either swimming or diving. :)

I actually found a DVD at our library last year of the Total Immersion program. I should check that out again. I can't really tell if I'm doing the assignments from the vid correctly (and some required a partner which I won't have), but even a little bit of working on the skills there did seem to help.

Part of me just thinks moving for the 30 minutes in addition to running will be good either way. Even if I do nothing better than thrashing around raising my heart rate and increasing my stamina, it would be better than sitting on my butt in the stands with the other moms. With some of the ideas here, I do hope to do better.

Thanks again.

Not me. Swimming requires a lot of technique to get the most out of it, technique which most people don't have. As a former swimmer (in the loosest of senses since I consider myself a former water polo player :)) I would run and lift free weights over swimming--which is what I do now.

However, if I was being dragged to the pool for familial obligations, I'd probably don the 'ole speedo and do some laps.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 10:32 PM ----------

Yup.

Not true.

Sorry, you yourself said running and weights. Swimming alone, while an excellent workout is incomplete by itself, as would be running alone or cycling alone or dance aerobics or yoga or whatever have you. Swim, bike, run, weights, now we are complete or at least complete-er. I will stay with exactly what I said. A combination of different but complimentary workouts will lead to better overall fitness.

N

Absolutely use fins.

Fins put a lot of torque on your legs, you gotta get used to that. Always use fins in the pool.

There is some scientific evidence to support the claim that cross training has some overall benefit.

Top trainers are also very clear that if you want to become highly proficient at *one* particular sport then *specificity* of training is essential. Cross training is usually applied in that context in order to keep training aerobically while avoiding over-use injuries during intense periods of training.

For most people, however, I don't think it really matters much. I would say that the average person doesn't work out enough that they get anywhere near the point where the choice between cross training or not cross training would make any significant difference to how fit they become.

That notwithstanding, I think I do understand what N is trying to say. In some sense cross training will create some kind of balance between the various systems and muscle groups being exercised so you don't turn into this guy:

nx75hx.jpg

A couple of lengths with no kicking? Did 2,500m this AM (100 lengths) holding a "pull bouy" between my legs.

it028761.jpg

Keeps you from using your legs and increases drag as well, while preventing your legs from dropping below you. Really allows you to focus on upper body technique... and muscles. Absolutely nothing to it... with proper technique!

I strongly suggest the OP (and anyone who wants to swim for exercise) focus first and formost on proper swim technique. The reality is that, unless you were taught/coached to be a competitive swimmer, there's a 99% chance you're doing it wrong.

The "swim lessons" most people had as kids were designed to teach you how to get to the other end of the pool without drowning, so the technique taught (and then ingrained over a lifetime) is more focused on keeping you ABOVE the water than moving you THROUGH the water. If you look at the average casual swimmer, you'll see that the vast majority of movement is spent pushing water DOWN and FORWARD. Neither of these things will propel you through the water efficienty.

Competitive swim technique is about efficiently propelling yourself THROUGH the water. Every motion is focused on pushing water BEHIND you, and therefore, moving your body forward. Any motion spent doing anything but that is wasted. (Of course a pleasant by-product of moving forward through the water is that you just happen to avoid sinking as well.) With simple, incremental, improvements in technique ANYONE can swim for extended distances comfortably. At that point, you can add SPEED to the equation.

www.swimsmooth.com

[video=youtube;IyR7JYllk9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR7JYllk9U[/video]

Excellent link. I studied it awhile and compared it to a video of myself. Found out i looked like i was punching the water 2inches from the top or my head. Practiced a day trying to incorporate the video highlights, make the stroke longer. It actually looks smoother. I went to the pool yesterday for my timed 800 m swim and went from 15 minutes to 14 minutes with energy to burn. Still slow but I have a few weeks before the open water 800m race in Brac. I won 't hit the winning time of 11 minutes, but hopefully won't get last place. The goal is to hit 13:30. I may have to speed things up to qualify for the 1 mile swim on Grand, so i'll keep working at it. Thanks again for the info. Maybe the swimmers on Scubaboard can make a trip to Brac and combine a race with some Scuba. Cheers

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom