Popular Specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To Recreational Divers:
What specialities do you most want to learn?
Already have: EFR, O2 Provider, Nitrox, Dry Suit, PPB. The only ones worthwhile are EFR, O2 Provider and Nitrox.

And are you aiming for Master Scuba Diver?
Nope. I do not see any value in the Master Scuba Diver cert.

I'd rather take the Divemaster course.

I'll tell you what I took . . . I did the peak performance buoyancy class (and if you teach it, PLEASE make it more worthwhile than what I did). I did the deep specialty (and please, if you teach it, introduce some gas management concepts, which weren't in my class). I did part of the navigation specialty, which can be a very good one if you are diving in areas with limited visibility. And I did Rescue, which I think every diver, everywhere, should do.

My husband did the photography specialty with a very good photographer, and got a lot out of it.

Whatever specialties you get certified to do, please spend some time thinking about how you can maximize the quality for the student, instead of how to teach the minimum required and go home with your paycheck.

What specialities do you most want to learn?
And are you aiming for Master Scuba Diver?
I HAVE: OW, AOW, RD, drysuit, nitrox and EFR. I am NOT aiming for PADI MSD. I see no benefit.

My next course will probably be: SDI - Solo Diver

Other courses I am interested in, and may take at some point, include: Wreck Diver, Cavern Diver, Ice Diver. I MIGHT take NAUI Master Diver - under the right circumstances.

If I take any other PADI courses, it will only be because I got a good deal and didn't have to pay very much for them. These courses include things like Navigation Diver, Drift Diver, Deep Diver, Night Diver, etc.

Ignoring advice from more experienced divers is one of the first signs that someone doesn't possess the maturity to be an instructor. You claim to have "90+" dives. At this point you are still getting comfortable in the water.
Properly evaluating the advice from others, especially complete strangers who have the audacity to inform you that YOU are just getting comfortable in the water - based on no other information than the number of dives you have logged, is another skill that may help you in your SCUBA career.

Hope this helps!
nd

Last edited:
Hmmm the only courses I have run in to that are high demand are like say the nitrox and drysuit though I am not yet certified in the later. These 2 courses are the only ones specialty wise I have ever seen a charter company or tour group ever ask you for your card. The others are very very useful in the PADI category but some are not worth what they charge. Boat diving is not really even something I would consider as giant stride and ladder exits are the dominating factor in most large dive tours.

Deep Diver is worth it though and I also think Night diving has its beneifits. If it were me and I came to you the only course I would honestly consider at this point of my training would be dry suit.

Divemaster would be great but in my case I get the same respect from the distinguished master diver as many others would get in dive master but that is simply because I have no intention on teaching classes at this point.

Hope this helps :)

Already have: EFR, O2 Provider, Nitrox, Dry Suit, PPB. The only ones worthwhile are EFR, O2 Provider and Nitrox.

Nope. I do not see any value in the Master Scuba Diver cert.

I'd rather take the Divemaster course.

From a NAUI perspective the NAUI Master Scuba Diver certification is a
pre-requisite for the Dive Master certification.

All of the physics and physiology frequired or the NAUI Dive Master certification is part of the NAUI Master Scuba Diver certification.

I believe the NAUI Dive Master certification is equivalent to the PADI Assistant Instructor certification.

From a NAUI perspective the NAUI Master Scuba Diver certification is a pre-requisite for the Dive Master certification.
Not sure. AFAIK, you can be a NAUI DM without having been a NAUI Master Scuba Diver.

All of the physics and physiology required for the NAUI Dive Master certification is part of the NAUI Master Scuba Diver certification.
Correct.

I believe the NAUI Dive Master certification is equivalent to the PADI Assistant Instructor certification.
Correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Dive Professionals/Resort/Shop Owners:
What speciality do you teach the most?

Most common specs i see asked for in resorts:- Nitrox, deep, wreck, night, digital photo.

Other parts of the earth drysuit is very common.

What specialities do you get asked for that you can't teach?

So far, none. There are some i refuse to teach as i seem them as worthless (boat, AWARE etc) but never been asked for them anyway.

How many Master Scuba Divers have you certified?

Zero.

String just curious as to which certification agency you teach. Is it Padi Naui ETC. It seems there would be a higher demand for msd but since I dont teach I dont get in to that side of things.

Bobby:

A fellow I know is doing his PADI DM. He did eleven specialties first!!! You only need five for your "master diver," but he knew he wanted to be a DM, so his reasoning was that by doing the specialties first, he would know what he was teaching and/or could advise students what to take.

Not exactly what you were asking, but you have to admit it's one way to make sure you have taken the most popular specialties :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom