Popular Specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The specialties I took were deep, nitrox, uw nav, drysuit, equip specialty and wreck. The nitrox was worth it and so was drysuit and equip but that was because the instructor went way beyond what was in the PADI outlines. Deep was ok I thought until I went tech and found out just what a joke the course, as laid out in the PADI student manual, was. No gas management, no redundant systems, or deco was explained or covered. I discuss or teach all of these in my OW classes. I had enough to go for the PADI Master Scuba Diver and was going to until I found out that you could take BS courses like fish ID, Boat Diver, Manatee Wrangler, UW Naturalist and some of the other fluff courses and have them count towards it. THat's when I said not worth 40 bucks for a piece of worthless plastic. If you are going to teach specialties teach ones useful to people in the areas you will be teaching in. If in the UK I see drysuit as a biggie. If you can't afford one why are you going for instructor instead of buying a drysuit with the money? What happens when someone who can afford one wants to take a course from you? Turn them down? And if you teach deep go beyond the book. Forget the marketing crap and spend the time teaching gas management, redundant sytems, and emergency deco. If Uw nav have them do some real navigation and make it more than 2 or 3 dives with a compass. Buoyancy should be taught in OW and refined in every class after. A specialty by itself is not needed. Boat should be covered in OW as well.

To Recreational Divers:
What specialities do you most want to learn?
And are you aiming for Master Scuba Diver?

I did Nitrox; I want to do AOW & would consider deep diver (I'd like to have professional supervision getting my feet wet (yeah, bad pun) seeing how I react to nitrogen at depth. I don't particularly want to do a lot of deep diving, but if an occasion comes up where something I want to see is deep, I'd like some idea of what's involved.

Nitrox was simply a water of being able to get the most out of scuba vacations like to Bonaire. Shorter surface intervals, more dives, longer time at depth.

I would consider pursuing Master Diver if I didn't have a range of other hobbies competing for my time and focus. The curriculum would provide some structure and expose me to a range of topics and so I believe I'd learn along the way. I'm not saying you can't learn as much or more on your own without pursuing it; just that it may be useful for some folks.

Richard.

To the OP
Just to chuck my stick in the spokes of this entertaining thread......
Did my DM earlier this year through my LDC and loved it, spent 6 months doing it for 3-4 days per week (def put the hours in) It really developed me as a diver both personally and in the way i help others (note HELP, DM's don't teach unless you want to get pedantic and talk about DSD's....).
I have met about 10 so-called master scuba divers and out of the 10 9 had no buoyency, crap finning, knew bugger all hand signals and were generally a menace to those in the water with them. The last had been diving for 20+ years.....
I have done all my certs through PADI because i love diving and most of the shops here are PADI, although i do understand the flaws in the system......
To get to the point MSD is not rated by me personally (or alot of people i dive with) as a good indicator of skill level, nor for that matter is DM,AI etc, i rather think your funds would be better channlled into courses that will benefit you in the future.
Also, why ask a question then get pissed off at peoples answers?

Again, any of your business? Why are you constantly on the negative? Have I offended you in someway? If so I apologise.

Bobby: a word of advice (for message boards generally, and SB in particular) - don't feed the trolls. There are plenty of macho Tec divers who love to say/imply how inadequate you/PADI/anyone who hasn't taken GUE fundies is/are (often tastefully dressed up as a concern about safety). Replying only encourages them. Treat them as you would treat the loudmouth on the dive boat. Smile and ignore them.

Another piece of advice: ignore all advice from strangers on message boards. The internet is full of weirdos.

String just curious as to which certification agency you teach. Is it Padi Naui ETC. It seems there would be a higher demand for msd but since I dont teach I dont get in to that side of things.

PADI and BSAC (but bsac dont do specialities so my above comments all padi. Ive never met a NAUI diver and AFAIK the organisation doesnt actually exist in this country or lots of other european ones).

MSD isnt a qualification - its an ego boost for people with too much money.

I HAVE: OW, AOW, RD, drysuit, nitrox and EFR. I am NOT aiming for PADI MSD. I see no benefit.

My next course will probably be: SDI - Solo Diver

Other courses I am interested in, and may take at some point, include: Wreck Diver, Cavern Diver, Ice Diver. I MIGHT take NAUI Master Diver - under the right circumstances.

If I take any other PADI courses, it will only be because I got a good deal and didn't have to pay very much for them. These courses include things like Navigation Diver, Drift Diver, Deep Diver, Night Diver, etc.

Properly evaluating the advice from others, especially complete strangers who have the audacity to inform you that YOU are just getting comfortable in the water - based on no other information than the number of dives you have logged, is another skill that may help you in your SCUBA career.

Hope this helps!
nd

I agree completely. PADI MSD is a useless rating. While I won't take SDI Solo Diver myself, at least not with the intent of solo diving anyway (I hear its very good for enforcing safety and equipment redundancy which is good on any dive), I also plan to take Wreck, Cavern and perhaps Cave but definitely not Cave from PADI.

I'm kind of on the fence as far as the usefulness of classes such as Night, Deep, Drift, etc...I would only get the Night/Deep cert if it was cheap and I was in a "hell, why not" mood. Drift I would take only at a resort that includes some drift boat dives in the package so I'm getting some discounted dives to help defer the cost.

I think lots of people would want to get Night, Deep, Navigation and Drift though so OP you may find use in getting these specialty instructor ratings. PPB may also be popular too but I think most people are concerned with what kind of dive they can do and not so much on staying off the reef they're looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
PADI don't offer Cave.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reminder: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted.

I have removed/edited some posts that were not meeting the above criteria. Please, confine your responses to the topic at hand and keep you advice friendly.

To Recreational Divers:
What specialities do you most want to learn?
Deep (check), Drysuit, Nitrox, & Wreck
And are you aiming for Master Scuba Diver?
Nope

I'm kind of on the fence as far as the usefulness of classes such as Night, Deep, Drift, etc...I would only get the Night/Deep cert if it was cheap and I was in a "hell, why not" mood.

I made the decision to get my Deep certification because rather than getting instabuddies each day I was teamed up with the instructor and got to ditch the crowds in the shallows. I figured it was a good course to take before going the GUE route as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom