Popular Specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the Summer of '09 I am going to complete my divemaster and I going to do my IDC in the summer of 2010. I am looking for some advice, as with my instructor program I get taken to MSDT level. These are the specialiaties I am getting included with my MSDT:

• Nitrox Instructor
  • Navigation Instructor
  • Deep Diver Instructor
  • Boat Diving Instructor
  • Naturalist Instructor

Now this is question to all levels of divers, I would especially like some advice from my eventually possible consumers (recreational divers) but advice from the Instructors, shop owners.

For Dive Professionals/Resort/Shop Owners:
What speciality do you teach the most?
What specialities do you get asked for that you can't teach?
How many Master Scuba Divers have you certified?

To Recreational Divers:
What specialities do you most want to learn?
And are you aiming for Master Scuba Diver?

Thanks for your time!

I've recently got my AOW, and addition to the specialties you listed, I did Search and Recovery and wreck. Eventually, I'm looking to do drysuit, peak performance boyancy, and underwater photography.

Just my $0.02

Hello Bobby,

If you are going to look to do your teaching around the UK you might want to add Drysuit and Wreck to your list of specialties.

Lot more call for those around the Northeast US than Boat or Naturalist.

In my experience, that it...:D

Good luck with your DM and IDC!!

Hank

Just passed my AOW too, and think that dry suit, peak performance, and underwater photography would be good additions. Dry suit and photography for sure since these are more asked for, but PPB is one of the classes always taught at my dive shop for AOW.

In the Summer of '09 I am going to complete my divemaster and I going to do my IDC in the summer of 2010. I am looking for some advice, as with my instructor program I get taken to MSDT level. These are the specialties I am getting included with my MSDT:

• NITROX Instructor
  • Navigation Instructor
  • Deep Diver Instructor
  • Boat Diving Instructor
  • Naturalist Instructor
Now this is question to all levels of divers, I would especially like some advice from my eventually possible consumers (recreational divers) but advice from the Instructors, shop owners.

For Dive Professionals/Resort/Shop Owners:
What specialty do you teach the most?
What specialties do you get asked for that you can't teach?
How many Master Scuba Divers have you certified?

To Recreational Divers:
What specialties do you most want to learn?
And are you aiming for Master Scuba Diver?

Thanks for your time!

I agree with what others have said add dry suit.

I don't know any diver who has taken the Boat Diving Specialty and very few who have taken the Naturalist course.

You didn't indicate the agency associated with your IDC.

If you are referring to the NAUI Master Diver I think it is a very worthwhile course. If you are referring to the PADI Master Diver then that is not a course per se. It is a collection of specialties. I think PADI would be much better adoption something similar to the NAUI Master Diver course.

I am not bashing PADI ( I also a a PADI certification) just simply comparing the PADI Master Diver certification to the NAUI Master Diver course given an equally qualified instructor for both certifications.

Unfortunately I have no experience personal experience with CMAS and other European agencies. I have read that CMAS has a pretty rigorous program but I cannot comment from personal experience.

I would skip the Boat,Naturalist(unless You are a marine biologist)
Do Dry,PPB,Nav,Deep and Nitrox

just my 0.02 penny's

I agree with what others have said add dry suit.

I don't know any diver who has taken the Boat Diving Specialty and very few who have taken the Naturalist course.

You didn't indicate the agency associated with your IDC.

If you are referring to the NAUI Master Diver I think it is a very worthwhile course. If you are referring to the PADI Master Diver then that is not a course per se. It is a collection of specialties. I think PADI would be much better adoption something similar to the NAUI Master Diver course.

I am not bashing PADI ( I also a a PADI certification) just simply comparing the PADI Master Diver certification to the NAUI Master Diver course given an equally qualified instructor for both certifications.

Unfortunately I have no experience personal experience with CMAS and other European agencies. I have read that CMAS has a pretty rigorous program but I cannot comment from personal experience.

PADI Master Scuba Diver is a very highly respected rating within the PADI Organisation, as most MSD's have quite a few dives and have alot of experience in their chosen specialities.

I would skip the Boat,Naturalist(unless You are a marine biologist)
Do Dry,PPB,Nav,Deep and Nitrox

just my 0.02 penny's

Yeah I agree, I am going to invest in a dry suit soon, but its just affording it. I was going to freelance in the UK, but I think I need to work in a dive centre aboard for a while to earn enough money to get myself a dry suit, but again I am not sure what type, I assume the dry suit speciality will let me look at that....?

PADI Master Scuba Diver is a very highly respected rating within the PADI Organisation, as most MSD's have quite a few dives and have alot of experience in their chosen specialities.
I think you mean to say MSDT is a respected rating? MSD generally isn't.

I think Nitrox is the most useful and (hopefully) the most requested. Personally, it's the only specialty I've ever taken (or felt the need to). But them I may not be a representative sample.

Good luck with your MSDT.

Bjorn

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom