Possible new one-handed diver needs guidance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Jim on the "lever" being a bad idea. You were using an Aqualung (AL) I3 based system right? One other factor is that if you plan to travel, only Aqualung certified technicians can fix it in the field. Although AL has a excellent worldwide presence, they're not everywhere.

Only AL-certified techs can work on it due to the complexity and specialized parts needed also. Additionally, all the inflator dump valves on that line are non-standard since each one is also controlled by a linkage - again more moving parts and AL specific replacement needed. Standard inflators and pull-dumps are available everywhere. In an emergency you could even cannibalize a rental BC as needed.

Some buoyancy systems have the inflator mounted almost - or even in the center of the wing. So they're easily set up to be ambidextrous. There's also nothing special about where it mounts so a BCD with a right shoulder dump can easily be modified simply by unscrewing and swapping the inflator hose with the dump mechanism. For this to work, the BCD has to have an upper right pull dump - not all models do but most of the better ones in a mfr's line will.

Also the inflator hose is just basically a hollow rubber tube so they're often available in different lengths. So a slightly longer one can be routed over the right shoulder also.

Zeagle systems can be configured easily in this fashion simply by removing two cable ties and rotating the inflator 180o so it is now functional for use with your right hand. Additionally you can position a wrist mounted computer on your right wrist in such a fashion that you can observe it while surfacing. There are several threads here about the company working with a wounded warrior who lost/has strength issues with their left hands and they were able to swap everything as needed to the other side for them. http://www.zeagle.com/en/Products-Repository/BCDS

The other advantage to Zeagle for you specifically is that their Ripcord weight system is a single handle that you pull to release the contents of both front weight pockets simultaneously. As you can see it mounts on the lower left front pocket and is designed to be pulled by your right hand. There are also tank strap mounted trim weight pockets so you can keep a portion of your weight as non-dumpable to slow any potential ascent situation to a more controllable one. I personally own one and configure my weights 60/40 and have test dropped the front - you go up fast but not screaming fast even without remembering to vent your BC as you do. They also have individual velcro closures so you would be able to drop at least the back right one also if needed.

The yellow weight pockets retain any combination of hard/shot weights also while diving. Then later if you want to hand up your weights individually before re-boarding - they unzip from the top and have long handles to facilitate this. I have a bad knee so that's my standard practice on dive boats.

Since you mentioned being plum shaped, their women shaped models - Zena or Lazer - also come with their Personal Fit System. Many of the components can be swapped for different sizes as needed either at your dealer or later. Mine didn't even charge me extra to do that - I was a lot heavier when I purchased my system than I am now. It has 3" of horizontal adjustment on both sides so simply by moving two captive screws so I'm still using the same components now after having dropped about 60lbs. I'm sure there are divers in your area using Zeagle products also - their Ranger is an ideal cold water rough conditions shore diving BCD for guys.

One popular option in your area is a Backplate/Wing design also - it's very optimal for cold water diving. Deep See Supply sells a line of them. The advantage to it is when set up properly no additional weight is needed. The plate is steel (or aluminum - even Kydex(plastic) for travel) and they sell permanent bolt-on weight plates to adjust your trim to the perfect balance for the conditions. If you travel to the tropics, you just remove/change them. Or maybe add weights in either a belt or pockets - since BP/W designs are simplified many users wear pocketed shorts over their wetsuit also. You can also change bladders to further fine tune it to the conditions as needed - say you decide to dive doubles later - all you need to do is change the wing.

The company is located in Pasadena? and also has both a web site and a forum here in our mfr's section. coolhardware52 is Tobin George - the owner. He's extremely helpful so if you go that route I'm sure he'd help you configure it correctly - he dives in similar conditions to yours locally. https://www.deepseasupply.com/

Last edited:
A diver up here in cold water Ontario, Canada is a technical diver: dives backplate, harness, double tanks, drysuit and has stage and decompression tanks also. You would have no notion that he has one hand. So there are no impossibilities!

I think the previous post that said take Akimbo up on his generous offer and balance it out by helping them later is a great plan, too.

ninadeer, I admire people like you who manage to take up a challenge like this that some more able bodied people struggle at.

I met somebody with a similar situation as yourself when I was diving in Puerto Galera, Philippines. He is an Australian, and a very capable diver.

What got me chatting to him was his torch fixed to his mask, and it was two days before I noticed his left hand was missing proving that despite his disability he for all intents and purposes was behaving like most of the other divers on the boat and needed very little help to gear up etc., he blended in with everyone else.

The only difference for him was getting back on the boat, he de-kitted in the water and passed his tank/BCD/ weight-belt up then off with the fins and climbed up the boat ladder with no assistance, but I know a few people who do this as a regular practice because of back issues or are not physically strong enough to manage a ladder with gear on.

I wish you all the best on this exciting new change in your life, you will not regret it, it's great down there :D

You need to be prepared to meet unknown divers off another boat while underwater. So an important skill to master will be giving the "shark" sign with your right hand while frantically waving your left arm.

On second thought, might be best to take rescue class first in case someone swallows their regulator...

Bear in mind that there is a heavy bias on this forum to tec related diving hence the emphasis on wings. My I3 works perfectly for my style and type of diving, so if you feel comfortable with it do not discount it as an option. we have three I3's in the family and they go for annual service at R150.00 ea job done.

Not me, purely rec diving for 3 decades. I3 violates so many K.I.S.S. rules for convenience that I can't even think of all of them.

Let's take a basic 4-5 moving parts inflator system and design a series of linkages, levers and custom valves to do the same job. I counted 7 o-rings in the I3 body itself on the video. Makes a lot of sense...

Why open all the valves every time when the only one that's going to do any good is the one above the bubble. They had to design one way valves so water didn't enter the wing when they vent them all.

IDK how much R150 is but my BC has seen a total of $80 in service charges and one $42 replacement/upgrade inflator in 10 years. I also don't have to explain how it works or where to find it to potential non-buddies who might also be involved in my rescue.

Where the OP might be diving vis is often measured in single feet in the summer when the algae blooms. Not the best conditions to locate unexpected and different configurations.

Nautilus Productions - Contact Us

Email Rick Allen, he's part of the NC State Family of divers and he lost his left arm a few years back in a nasty O2 bottle explosion. He is now back diving full time for a living as a videographer and he will have some insight for you. He lost more of his arm, just above the elbow, and he has a prosthetic that helps with videography, but all of the diving stuff has to come from his right arm. He is a really great guy and while he was a very accomplished diver before the accident, he's had to relearn everything and I'm sure would love to help you.

His rig is surprisingly normal when you look at it, though there are a few key differences.

He usually dives a Full Face Mask, but that's due to work, he's just fine with a normal mask.

His SPG was changed to a console and comes across and clips to the right shoulder so he can see it. This is how we teach our OW students, and is the best way to dive with a console. Computer can go in there along with SPG. With your left arm you could actually push it up enough to see it, or reach with your right hand.

His inflator still comes off of the left per usual, but the actual inflator mechanism has been rotated 180* so he can reach across with his right hand and manipulate the inflator button easily. Can still be turned in for oral inflation though it is a little awkward.

In single tanks, regulators are as normal. Short hose secondary on a suicide strap, longer hose primary run down under the right shoulder then back up.

edit: just talked to Rick, he'd be happy to talk with you and to either email or phone him. He is on the east coast, so keep the time difference into account.

Last edited:
Not me, purely rec diving for 3 decades. I3 violates so many K.I.S.S. rules for convenience that I can't even think of all of them.

Let's take a basic 4-5 moving parts inflator system and design a series of linkages, levers and custom valves to do the same job. I counted 7 o-rings in the I3 body itself on the video. Makes a lot of sense...

Why open all the valves every time when the only one that's going to do any good is the one above the bubble. They had to design one way valves so water didn't enter the wing when they vent them all.

IDK how much R150 is but my BC has seen a total of $80 in service charges and one $42 replacement/upgrade inflator in 10 years. I also don't have to explain how it works or where to find it to potential non-buddies who might also be involved in my rescue.

Where the OP might be diving vis is often measured in single feet in the summer when the algae blooms. Not the best conditions to locate unexpected and different configurations.

R150.00 about $10. I respect your knowledge of local conditions and understand your concern for a rescue type scenario. I would be interested to know however if there is anyone on the board that has had a failure of the I3 system. I still maintain that the best kit is the stuff that works for you.

Like you've found out through out your life, it's all a matter of adapting. Weight pouches are very, very rarely ditched, much less both at the same time.

As for the lever: it's not a gimmick. It's a different "adaptation" and quite often that gets a bad rap from those who have probably NEVER EVEN TRIED IT. I have tried it and it works just fine. Really. If it makes your diving simpler, easier or even possible then just embrace it. Who cares what others think about it if it works for you.

There is no one configuration that is best for everyone. Sure, look at a backplate & wing, but in the end, fit and comfort are the most important factor, not what someone tells you is right/wrong on ScubaBoard. You should not have to adapt to the gear; it should adapt to YOU.

The fact is, you can place your gauges/console/computer on either side. The same is true for your regulator and alternate air source. A reputable shop can array the hoses off your first stage in a configuration that will be most suited to your physical attributes. ( like Hendrix and even George Harrison playing the guitar "backwards") As for weighting. there is nothing wrong with remove integrated weight pockets in sequence. There is no need for "instantaneous and simultaneous" removal. Moreover, I think you will handle pockets better than a belt, and recommend the integrated. Frankly, if you undergo a thorough physical, I do not see you physical limitations as disqualifying you from scuba at all. You should avoid over tasking ( let someone else take the photos and video), but if you can haul yourself onto a boat or dock or shore in scuba gear , one handed, then you'd be welcomed in my classes and on my dive too. I hope you find competent instruction, someone willing to rearrange your hoses as suggested, and that you have a great time learning and enjoying our sport!
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom