Possible new one-handed diver needs guidance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in complete agreement with you that this diver's scuba education should be prudent (and, of course, thorough), that his/her gear should be chosen deliberately to be appropriate for him, and that anyone he buddies with should be fully aware of and practiced with any special considerations that need to be made.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

lever = solution in search of a problem. Added complexity (in construction, if not necessarily in use) where complexity not required, to no discernible benefit. However, to those who like it - dive on.

Weight belts don't work well with BCD's because a "plain" BC with belt probably would cost far less then a BCD loaded with gimcrackery and integrated weights.

IMO.

I like my "stuff" on the left side, so I put it all there - gauges, wrist-mounts, lights, pocket, etc. It would be easy for me to re-route everything to the right if I were so inclined, as could you. In fact, the inflator hose on my wing is centered. I unscrewed it, and turned it about 1/4 turn so it goes over my left shoulder. Could have done the same to the right. I'm not sure how I would do that with the lever-thingy.

In any case, fooling with equipment is one of the fun-est things about diving. Have fun.

Not sure if you're talking about Sharkie or not, but I dove with him a few times this year and the lack of a hand/forearm certainly doesn't slow him down. He dives a standard rig (bp/w doubs) and is a pretty accomplished underwater photographer to boot. He did have a second prosthetic he used for diving though.

A diver up here in cold water Ontario, Canada is a technical diver: dives backplate, harness, double tanks, drysuit and has stage and decompression tanks also. You would have no notion that he has one hand. So there are no impossibilities!

I think the previous post that said take Akimbo up on his generous offer and balance it out by helping them later is a great plan, too.

Ninadeer. I am a certified Classified (handicap) Instructor with SSI. The previous posts do contain some valuable information. Good food for thought. One thing is certain though. You should find an Instructor who is trained and knowledgeable in various adaptive diving techniques. That being said, there is no way of knowing at this time, what, if any, changes or accommodations you might need. We have never met you, spent time with you, or assessed your capabilities. A classified Instructor will work with you and together the two of you will decide what safely works for you and your buddy. Best of luck. I look forward to reading your "OW certified" post.

Ninadeer, there have been a couple of references to a one-handed dude up here in the Great Lakes... I've been his main buddy for the past 35 years and we've logged thousands of dives together.

As you might expect, he requires some assistance suiting up, but so do I! We both own and dive from RHIBs, wear doubles and carry stages. I carry a camera, he shoots video. I don't actually notice his "shortcomings" at all... he's a great diver, and we've shared some great adventures. He's also full cave certified as well as trimix certified.

I'd be happy to introduce you guys, but "Relax and Dive On". With some minor gear considerations (on your part and your buddy's) there's no limit to what you can do diving.

With some minor gear considerations (on your part and your buddy's) there's no limit to what you can do diving.
This is so true! I just finished my Instructor course with Diveheart and it's obvious that most people can dive with few if any limitations. I'm not trying to downplay the situation, but rather to up-play human innovation that can adapt to do almost any task we set our mind to.

Hi Nina, I tried to read all the posts, I didn't see it mentioned that if you go the weight bet route, put it on when you try your BC in the store and make sure the your release isn't blocked incase you need to pull it in a hurry. In the days of weight belts things were designed differently, now it could be a real problem cause weight belts are getting rare, and where you need to pull is covered by fabric. Also you can put it on upside down for a left hand pull.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom