Possible to remain completely neutral when deploying SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your method sounds fine. You are replacing the SMB air with more air, but hey, they is no gauge to measure that. I always have a buddy hold on to me during smb deployment to assist in maintaing neutral buoyancy, and recommend the same.
Divemaster Dennis

Divers should be prepared for buddy separation. That may well involve a solo ascent. I would think that the ability to launch an SMB alone, would be a basic skill. Seriously, you want someone to "hold you"??? Never heard that before?

The best thing you can do is to work on smoothly executing the SMB drill in a timely manner. New tasks can cause buoyancy problems, the first time I tried hunting lobsters my breathing pattern changed enough to make me float off the reef when I was after a bug.

As far as larger SMB deployment goes, this is what I do.

Unroll the SMB and shake it out
Put a burp of air out of my BC to make it stand up
Add one quick exhaled breath to it out of my left exhaust tee
Let it go and don’t put too much tension on the line because it can pull you up

I actually got better at SMB deployment from practicing in a rock quarry with an obvious thermocline. That way I didn’t need to look at my depth gauge to see if I ascended.

Hook a double ender or bolt snap to the line on the reel. Let out about 6' of line. The Double Ender will pull the line down tight, so it's not floating all over the place like a big mess. Then, fill the bag hard as you can with your regulator, making sure your reel is ready to pay out line. As the 6' of slack is pulled up, the double ender will rise in front of you until all the slack is gone (while the bag is shooting toward the surface). Once all the slack is out... remove the double ender.

This method gives you a good 5 seconds of leeway. As long as your reel or spool spins freely, you should be fine.

This is an interesting method, thanks for sharing!

---------- Post added November 12th, 2013 at 07:38 AM ----------

Thanks for the tips & advice.

I was watching videos on SMB deployment and came across one which I think, highlighted what my problem was. It said, once you feel the SMB becoming positive and starting to pull & float up, you have enough air in it. Stop blowing and let go.

My problem was trying to get as much into the SMB as possible and I continue blowing till my lungs are empty, even after the SMB is already pulling up hard, I continue to blow. I think this is my main mistake.

I also think that the volume increase of the SMB is not equal to the volume decrease of your lungs body when you transfer air from lungs to SMB. Please try this and let me know if it's true.

Hold mid breath so you remain motionless in water with neutral buoyancy. Now blow all the air from your lungs into SMB. I am pretty sure you will float up.

Hold mid breath so you remain motionless in water with neutral buoyancy. Now blow all the air from your lungs into SMB. I am pretty sure you will float up.

Yes you will float up. The air that you just expelled from your lungs is now a little bit higher in the water column (top of smb rather than your lungs) and as such has expanded a little bit from less pressure from depth. It is not very much, but it is still enough to begin the upward pull.

I am still floating up slightly (2-3m) when deploying my SMB. I was taught to be neutral before deployment, ie no dumping of air completely before deployment to make myself more negative.

!
Getting this under control is about timing and tempo. You can get two full breaths into the blob and not change depth by more than about a foot (if that) if you get the breathing right.

R..

Use a small SMB and you don't need that many. I am going to take one of my small ones to the pool tonite for snorkeling class and shoot it on a simple breath hold dive. Then I'll let my 8 - 12 yr old kids try it. I'm betting they can do it after just a few minutes of instruction. At least filling it with a 1/2 breath. The reel or spool will already be hooked up to it.

I found that going a bit head down and finning gently was enough to allow me to get enough air into the bag to have it well inflated at the surface. Prior to figuring that out, I went through a complicated dance of taking a deep breath, venting my wing, exhaling into the bag, and then letting go of the bag and immediately popping air into the wing. It worked, but it was kludgy as all get-out.

I always have a buddy hold on to me during smb deployment to assist in maintaing neutral buoyancy, and recommend the same.
Divemaster Dennis

Facepalm.JPG

I think we are being a little hard on him. Have we seen a picture of his dive buddy? What does she look like- and where does he recommend that he be held? Does she have unique characteristics that may warrant assistance in the maintenance of her "neutral buoyancy"?

Back
Top Bottom