Possible to remain completely neutral when deploying SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ …….

:rofl3:

But that will be a thing of the past with the new spools that were at dema that I'll.have in soon. The center is solid and the spool.spins around it. But the center is also removable for those who want a traditional spool.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
I don't claim to be an expert at DSMB deployment - neophyte more like it. I did modify my spool after having my glove finger get caught during deployment and pop me upward (shallow practice dive fortunately). I added a center spindle and a small bolt snap hole to an arm off the spindle. It is hardly larger than a regular spool but gives me a safe handle to let the spool spin from. I put just enough into the 6' bag to stand it up while keeping all my lines stowed, then I take my line retainer off (big fat rubber band) hold the bolt snap that is clipped to the spool arm and put my thumb on the spool. Add the remaining air and as soon as I feel a pull let go with my thumb. Very neat and no loose line to tangle in.

I wonder how close my mod is the the ones at DEMA this year? IMG_2469.jpg

Yesterday I used the "fill from BCD/Wing" method and it worded a treat.

After the first fill from my Wing and being neutrally buoyant I then used the LP inflator to give it another blast whilst pressing the dump button and let it go, then established neutral buoyancy again before I became too negative.

Will be using this technique in future as IMHO it is much easier and controlled method to fill and handle and SMB than using a regulator.

I was taught to be neutral before deployment, ie no dumping of air completely before deployment to make myself more negative.

Why not? I always "go negative" when I'm on the SMB. I have a knot in the line at 15ft so I just reel myself up to that and hang there.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom