Post a roadmap for getting all the training and gear for tech and rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FBB,

I'm making this exact transition right now. I called up a shop and ordered a bunch of stuff and asked for a discount. I would do that if you're going to buy a lot of gear at once, which tech kind of requires. Here's the list as follows, and you can look on John Chatterton's or Richie Kohler's site to see some of the equipment they'd expect you to have depending on the training you want to do. Other instructors should be similar.

Backplate and Wing (for doubles): $400+ (depending if you build it yourself or just buy one, I'm assembling mine)
Regulators (4 1st and 4 2nd stages, 2 sets for doubles, 2 sets for deco): $800 (HOG D1s, currently on sale)
Reel (300'): $30 - $50 for traditional reel, $150+ for side-wind
Finger Spool (100'+): $25
Cutting tools (2 - 3): $100 - 130 (shears, knives, etc.)
Lights (I use hand-held LED, not cannister, and you should have 3): $250+ depending on who you buy from
Lift Bag (50#): $50
SMB (2 x 6'): $50
Strobes (2+ for Wreck Pen): $60+
Tech Fins (Jets, HOGs, Hollis, OMS, etc.): $130+ (I have some XL jet fins on sale here for $80 w/ spring straps in the classified section ;^)
Hoses (7', 22" or 24", drysuit inflator if needed): $40+
Technical Computer: $1K+ (may be able to get away with not having a tech computer but I wouldn't. You're going to dive a pre-planned profile created by V-Planner or something, but having the computer to back you up if things go wrong is important)

If you aren't going to be doing a ton of it right away or nearby, I would just rent the doubles. Otherwise they can run you up to $1K for 2 HP steel 100s w/ manifold, bands, etc. I would try and get them used with recent hydro if you're planning on buy them, but really I would just rent until you decide tech is really for you and have enough opportunities to use them.

I assume you have weights and an exposure suit. If not, you'd need to buy those as well, and if you want a drysuit it will likely be at least $1000 if not $1500, unless you can get a used one from a buddy.

The training classes are anywhere from $500 to $1000 each or so, and that's only the class, materials, and probably the dives. Room, board, travel are all extra if you have to incur them. You would need to figure out what you want to do too. If you want to do deco, then you need basic nitrox (SDI or whomever), then Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures (TDI). These seem often to be done together. If you want to do wreck penetration, you need your basic wreck (barely useful PADI, SDI, whatever), then you can do the Advanced Wreck Penetration.

Technical Diving means deeper that 130', decompression diving, cave or wreck penetration, or any combination thereof. My plan is to start with adv nitrox/deco, then do Wreck Penetration.

If you are buying gear and want some sites for inexpensive stuff let me know. Some brands are just crazy expensive for a nominal improvement if any.

Mike

Here is a tip on buying gear: buy used stuff.

You can get used regs (like mk20/g250) for cheap if you're patient. Same with tanks, lights, and all sorts of trinkets. Learn about everything (will help uou on your tech path) to the point where you can judge if its worth buying, have it serviced, and enjoy the extra doll-hairs in your wallet. This method has worked for me so far with ~25 tanks, ~15 regs, lights, scooters, and a myriad of other doodads. I rarely buy new things as there just isn't much real benefit in it.

Don't skimp on training, there's a reason it's expensive. If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered. Master your skills accordingly.

btw, you're still gunna be broke if you get serious into this activity.

If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered.

That's fabulous! (New sig line)

Technical Computer: $1K+ (may be able to get away with not having a tech computer but I wouldn't. You're going to dive a pre-planned profile created by V-Planner or something, but having the computer to back you up if things go wrong is important)

Having a back-up plan is important. That plan can be more tables, or computer if you have the cash. :wink:

I am also too about to embark on the tec road.

I am currently a PADI MSDT and moving into an intership for 4 months. the cost is just about 6k.
Included is unlimited diving (gas fills, o2 and helium included)
Equipment usage all new Hollis and Apex gear
Student level DSAT Tec 40 -45 - 50
Instructor level DSAT Tec 40 - 45 - 50 (internship shadowing courses and Instructor Dev. Course)
Tec Rec Technical Rescue Diver / Instructor Internship
DSAT 65 Trimix Diver / Instructor Internship
TDI Advanced Trimix
Ocean Reef Comm. Training

I've shopped around with some of the better known CD's (as I'm looking to train DSAT/tec rec) and I'm thinking this is a good deal... The facility is well known and busy so it will be full time training for 4 months. Opting for this rather than just taking the student level courses because rather than getting the min. # dives required for the course, this gives me actual hand on experience rather than a quick certification and hopefully several 100-200 hours underwater training time before I am "on my own"

I'm hoping to do this w/out a multi gas computer until at least the end of Dec. as another 1k isn't in the budget. I'm hoping to work it with UWatec gauge/timer, suunto Zoop and Mosquito.

[h=2]"Post a roadmap for getting all the training and gear for tech and rebreathers?[/h]
I'm a little fuzzy on how I should go about getting tech and rebreather certified, as well as the costs involved because the amount of gear is bewildering.

I don't have any other reason for wanting to do tech and rebreather other than I want to do it and to challenge myself.

For instance, to get recreationally certified the road map is easy:

1. Sign up for a class from someplace like PADI like NAUI (~$500 for two weekends, one classroom and another open water)
2. Get your mask, snorkel, and fins (~$100-$200+).
3. Go do the classroom and open water dives and get your certification.
4. Continue to rent gear or buy your own (HOG first stage + two second stages + hoses = $450, exposure suit and apparel ($300 - $1000+ for dry), weights (~$75), computer (~$300), tanks ($200+ each), and air fills are $5 a pop) "

1) Invest in BP/Wing, long hose reg set, the rest of the GUE standard equipment - rent doubles for the GUE fundies class. Depending on what you have somewhere between $1-2k. If you didn't like this course quit now. If you want to continue get another 50 dives in.

2) Take the basic tech sequence TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures (or it's equivalent), you should have what you need for this course. Cost depends on time spent in course and where taken. Go get 50 deco dives in.

3) Get your recreational DM if you already haven't so you can learn how to fix all kinds of mistakes others make, this is optional but I found it useful.

4) Tri-mix - spend a lot on He, carry a bunch of deco tanks and realize what a pain it is. If you still like deep/long dives, start your rebreather research here.

5) Rebreather Mod1/Mod2 buy the equivalent of a good used car on equipment and training, get used to learning complex equipment, and then put a lot of hours on the rebreather. Say 50-100hrs

6) Rebreather Mod 3 puts it all together, deep/long and lots of deco. Now do another 100 hrs

7) Rebreather Mod 4 congrats you've run out of basic certs. Along the way some cave/adv wreck training should be thrown in at least for it's hazing value. It's not particularly fun but afterwards you feel like you can work your way out of all sorts of problems that might arise.

My estimate of the costs to all of the above would be closer to 30k plus travel costs. You could go as high as $50k depending on how you have to organize your diving, if you're really serious plan on diving w/ mulptiple instructors/agencies and locations to get as many points of view as you can. have fun.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom