POW Meeting Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Adams:
Well thats true Marry very true, but some divers just don't like the folks that are doing the driving on this cause. This board has been a great medium for new diver information but lately it has shown to be a medium for self promoting subliminal business adventures and has left a bad taste. If you want help your going to have to change the drivers to outsiders with no biased attitudes toward individual divers, instructors and agencies. SOS Toronto is basically nothing but a web site these days.

Mr Adams

Mr A,

No matter who does what, you and your "friends" will always think that way. There is an expression a friend of mine uses. "If you always do what you always have done you will always be where your at"

We all need to change the attitude that comes with your statement, and I stand behind mine. This thread is about POW not board issues.

SOS is sinking... POW has agendas

This may be the case, which begs the question: If we need change, why not take the path of least resistance and direct change from the inside.

One of the challenges this industry has always had to face both in promotion to consumers and lobbying all levels of government is that we seem unable to present a united front... we are a fractured community... we thrive on discord. and that's been used to leverage us out of the party for years and years... we do need change.

At least Tom is doing something that's community-based. Sure he runs a business and I don't mind how many plugs he puts in for it or for his brand of training because he more than makes up for it with the "other" things he's involved with.

by the way. No organization -- especially one run mostly by volunteers -- is 100% objective.

This is very true Steve. Also, most people don't want to do a job that they don't get payed for. The people I saw were dedicated to ensuring the wrecks are protected. They took time to drive hours (I am not talking about myself) to attend these meetings.

Part of the issue that I recall with SOS and POW was a difference in agendas for the same intent - Preserving the wrecks. At one time we discussed a fee added to all charter boat users of $2.00 that would go to the maintenance of the wrecks for such things as morrings and markers and research and the obtainment of government grants. This never came about because of the differences between the agendas and the organizations. In short the SOS and POW could not agree how to use or manage these funds (the publics support for this idea was another concern). Geographical territory was another issue. With most of the wrecks in Lake Huron, Erie, Ontario and the St Lawrence, geographical territorial battles became a stalemate issue. The time is now that those who are able and willing to volunteer their time put aside these differences and combine their efforts to the common cause because the resources and willing people are limited. This may mean that a new organization need be formed The Ontario Wreck Preservation Society (or something like that) from the two organizations. It may be time that an international concerned body of people work to protect these historical resources from both sides of the border, the USA and Canadian wrecks all face the same concerns.

What ever you do it needs to start now, it should not involve any differing attitudes about LDS but be supported and based from them. Tom, Mr Adams I believe that you both have the desire to protect these wrecks maybe this could be the time that you step up and work together. I am sure that there are American counter parts accross the border that will be interested to join in the efforts?
when I come to Canada I always look forward to diving what I consider the best wrecks to be found anywhere in the world. Good luck gentleman

Well ,I may be a little naive , but I certainly don't have any other agenda than to protect the wrecks for the future generations to enjoy if possible.
We don't have people beating down our doors...volunteers are hard to come by, many people just don't have time between their jobs and families,
so we just do the best we can...
we are open to any help and suggestions .
We do have a very positive attitude in our group which keeps us striving for better days to come...

To this end, we have asked Ontario Diver to step up as a moderator and help to organise any and all assistance that the ScubaBoard can muster. Since this is a cross province issue, we have created the new Canadian Wreck Preservation Forum and will be working on a web site to help promote the education of divers on both sides of the border. It is in all of our interests to make this as diver friendly as possible and still have enough teeth to protect the wrecks.

d33ps1x

You must be mistaken, I defend no one. Toronto area commercial soundings and GPS numbers don't exist, its all diver dreams.

Mr A

GDI:
Part of the issue that I recall with SOS and POW was a difference in agendas for the same intent - Preserving the wrecks. At one time we discussed a fee added to all charter boat users of $2.00 that would go to the maintenance of the wrecks for such things as morrings and markers and research and the obtainment of government grants. This never came about because of the differences between the agendas and the organizations. In short the SOS and POW could not agree how to use or manage these funds (the publics support for this idea was another concern). Geographical territory was another issue. With most of the wrecks in Lake Huron, Erie, Ontario and the St Lawrence, geographical territorial battles became a stalemate issue. The time is now that those who are able and willing to volunteer their time put aside these differences and combine their efforts to the common cause because the resources and willing people are limited. This may mean that a new organization need be formed The Ontario Wreck Preservation Society (or something like that) from the two organizations. It may be time that an international concerned body of people work to protect these historical resources from both sides of the border, the USA and Canadian wrecks all face the same concerns.

What ever you do it needs to start now, it should not involve any differing attitudes about LDS but be supported and based from them. Tom, Mr Adams I believe that you both have the desire to protect these wrecks maybe this could be the time that you step up and work together. I am sure that there are American counter parts accross the border that will be interested to join in the efforts?
when I come to Canada I always look forward to diving what I consider the best wrecks to be found anywhere in the world. Good luck gentleman

It is sad day when I have to read a post by an uninformed individual about the politics of two worth while organizations such as SOS and POW and knowing little or nothing about those organizations.
To give you some insite both POW and SOS have the same agendas and that is to preserve wrecks. SOS's and it's chapters cover most of the province of Ontario, where as POW's intrests is only in the Kingston and Point Traverse area. SOS receives funding or did receive funding from the province along with other grant monies that they apply for. POW on the other hand has been supported by local business and grants that it applied for, since it's inception in 1981 by the way the same year as the formation of SOS.
POW is supported by the good people in the dive industry Kingston dive stores, charter operators, members from all over the province and yes including members from upper New York State as well as from visiting divers to the area.
Just recently(2002/2003) SOS received a grant from a foundation to purchase a large number of buoys (50 private buoys) to mark the different wrecks throught the province and thankfully, included POW supplying us with 8 of the buoys. Since then we co-operativly purchased 30 more buoys to expand our mooring projects. We are co-operating in an addopt a wreck program which by the way was started by SOS which we in POW have also adopted.(why re-invent the wheel)
As to the addition of a $2.00 fee by the charter operators I think this is an added responsibility for the operators which they do not need to have, instead and I know this for a fact that most business involved in the dive industry in Kingston have POW donation boxes why not drop off a donation there yourself or send one to
Preserve Our Wrecks Kingston Inc.
c/o Marine Museum of the Grate Lakes at Kingston
55 Ontario Street
Kingston, Ontario. K7L 2Y2

Please before you print misinformation kindly verify your information
Wayne
President
Preserve Our Wrecks Kingston Inc.

Back
Top Bottom