Powerful far-sighted prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasbo49

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm heading to Hawaii in a couple months and wishing I could see what my wife and kids see underwater. I'm extremely far-sighted and have never been able to see any detail when snorkeling.

On Amazon I see that they offer prescription dive/snorkel masks, but the far-sighted numbers stop at +4.0. My prescription is +10. Does anyone know of a supplier that offers prescriptions that strong?

There may be a better place to post a question like this, but I'm new here and didn't see one.

Jim

I'll second the Seavision recommendation. I've got a fairly bad astigmatism so off the shelf lenses don't work for me either, and I'm very happy with my Seavision mask.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like SeaVision is even more limited than the other suppliers, topping out at +2.0. On the bright side, I visited a couple of dive shops (barely knew we had any in inland rural Oregon) and was told they could order my +10s, so I'm looking into that. Quite expensive, but for two weeks in Hawaii, maybe it'll be worth it to finally see the fish I've only squinted at for decades.

Jim

I have a company that will cut any lens needed with your prescription in it. You would have to buy a new mask, and provide the prescription. The custom lenses cost about $200. More for bifocals.

peter@ultimatecavediving.com
email me if you want me to put you in touch with the company. FYI, they can do this with ANY mask.

Thanks, Super. I think I'll continue with the local options first. If those don't pan out, I'll check out that one.

Jim

My LDS will send in any prescription ( including bifocal) and have a mask made for about $200.00 give or take. Check their web site at uphantaseas.com. They are in Colorado, but they can give you info or place the order and ship it to you for an additional charge.
DivemasterDennis

I've used SeaVision for years, but when Dive Rite came out with their own version (I'm sure they buy it from SeaVision) I went there, as the corrections are full range. The price is somewhat cheaper than the SeaVision (at least it was the last time I checked). You might take a look here: Vision Correcting Masks and Gauge Reader Masks - Dive Gear Express

Definitely go to your local Dive Shop and ask about getting a prescription mask. They will run you around $200, maybe more depending on what you need, but worth every penny. And with the cost of vacations, it really isn't that expensive and will increase your enjoyment enormously.

Can I suggest a different approach?? Find a single pane mask that will fit your glasses. I have a friend that has a spare set of glasses that she fits snugly into the inside of her mask. She took the arms off so its just the front of the glasses. It works perfectly for her, but if the masks leaks you will get water spots on the inside she says. Just a thought vs a $200 mask which would be, of course superior. I wouldn't recommend this for diving but a good alternative for snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom