Practicing Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned what a glimpse of the goal is. So I put a successful team dive in the category of impetus to continue in that direction... perhaps that is more a realization than learning, but it changed my perception on how to be a good team member.

My buddies and I, ( when the three of us don't have someone else diving with us). Practice many basic skills. Navagation we practice almost every dive, just shoot a compass heading and go then without surfacing try to follow another compass heading to another object and possibly another. Like flying using insturments.
It is a lot of fun when you actually find all of the things you are looking for without surfacing/wandering too much.

Do you restrict your diving because you haven't been able to practice a particular skill recently?

For example: For the past year if you have been doing nothing but wreck penetration into overhead environments where a compass wasn't needed would you forgo an open water, limited visibility dive that required good navigation skills?

i would seriously consider curtailing the first couple of dives and making them "re-acclimation" dives

for example, i've been away from cave diving for several months a few times, and each time i return, i invariably do a very easy, nothing complicated, just get in and out dive, and go from there

btw, i find that after i take about a week off from diving, my first dive is going to be off, and then the second dive just clicks... that's just my experience ... you don't really "forget" these skills .. you just don't want to get task-loaded after some time off

yes, arctic, i would. i've been out of the water for 6 months. my first dive will be tomorrow, and i'm asking a trusted bud to tell me everything, good bad & ugly. then my first cave dive will likely be so minimal it will barely count as overhead! :wink: i'd be much more comfy easing into overheads, rather than charging in to where i was before my hiatus.

Speaking of doing skills at depth, during my cavern course I just took, many of my drills were done far back in the cavern and at max depth.

On my last training dive, far back into the cavern with just a hint of light (only faintly veiwable with my light covered) at at 95FFW, my instructor hands my his "white out" mask, which is completely painted over white. At this point I've had to replace my mask so many times during the previous 2 days, it don't really think much about the actual swapping of masks, but then as I'm gropping around trying to find a tie off to initiate my lost line search it dawned on me what a precarious positition I was in. No light, no sight, no line, and about 10 min left of no deco. I could sense my anxiety start to build, but took solice in knowing my instructor was close at hand, and that I had already practiced this drill successfully. I took a calming breath and proceded on with what I had been trained to do.

I hope I never have to do these drills for real, but know I can do it, and not just under the best of circumstances (shallow OW). I think thats why you need to practice these drills "at depth" (or in this case under overhead) so that when you need the skills for real you'll have confidence in the fact you've done it before under similiar conditions.

And as far as doing drills repetively, take the mask removal drill for example. Just like everyone else, I had to demonstrate mask removal and clearing during OW. But since then I'd only done it twice again (until my cavern course that is). Many divers (myself included) would have said with confidence that they could remove and replace their mask. The thing is, the first few times I did it for the cavern class it was an all engrossing task, requiring my full attention. Everything else would drop from my mind as I concentrated on the single skill. After doing it a dozen times though, it wasn't nearly as difficult, and I could concentrate on other things at the same time. In these drills, the mask removal wasn't supposed to be end all of the drill, only a step in the task loading. The more practice with that skill, the less it contributes to the overall task loading.

Just my thoughts after some very intense and FUN training. :)

Thanks,
Jason

JasonH20:
I hope I never have to do these drills for real, but know I can do it, and not just under the best of circumstances (shallow OW). I think thats why you need to practice these drills "at depth" (or in this case under overhead) so that when you need the skills for real you'll have confidence in the fact you've done it before under similiar conditions.
Nicely said!
JasonH20:
The thing is, the first few times I did it for the cavern class it was an all engrossing task, requiring my full attention. Everything else would drop from my mind as I concentrated on the single skill. After doing it a dozen times though, it wasn't nearly as difficult, and I could concentrate on other things at the same time. In these drills, the mask removal wasn't supposed to be end all of the drill, only a step in the task loading. The more practice with that skill, the less it contributes to the overall task loading.
Notice you said, "a dozen times". That's why I like doing skills on every dive. Only then does a task become so second nature that you can be preforming the task in the background of your mind, while focusing on the other issues that are sure to develop.

Thanks for the post, Jason. Well said.

I never thought of practicing skills and having fun on a dive were mutually exclusive. I don't practice skills on all my dives but practicing on a regular basis I think has helped me become a better diver. Once my buddy and I decided to kind of make a game out of doing some skills. Mask clears at depth and reg recovery at depth. We had a great time and still were able to see some wonderful things on the dive.

H2Andy/Baby Duck:

I too take the first few dives a bit slow.

There are two key reasons to practice:
1. To develop and maintain skills.
2. To have a firm idea of just what your capabilities are.

I try to keep both in mind.

Back
Top Bottom