Predive checklist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monkey_Gland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Checklists are good. Pilots use them, astronauts use them, surgeons too - all to increase safety and make sure you've covered the most obvious things.

Having variously dived into the water over the years with A) No weights b) Air turned off c) Nitrox on dive computer set incorrectly d) Not wearing fins, I'm thinking that a written checklist with even the most basic stuff on is a fine idea.

Have you got one? Let's have a look.

I don't have a checklist, but I have a mnemonic. It goes through the dive plan from beginning to end. Then we do a head-to-toe equipment check (by organizing it that way, I don't forget anything, or if I do, one of my teammates will notice).

I agree that having a formal way to make sure everything is as it should be is a good thing. We have a written checklist for packing for dive trips. But even if I had a written list for pre-dive, I think after a few hundred iterations, I'd have it memorized.

Goal (Dive objective)
Unified Team (Team strategies)
Equipment (Match)
Exposure (Depth/Time)
Decompression
Gas (Gas management)
Environment (Issues)

GUE EDGE :)

Having variously dived into the water over the years with A) No weights b) Air turned off c) Nitrox on dive computer set incorrectly d) Not wearing fins, I'm thinking that a written checklist with even the most basic stuff on is a fine idea.

I've done all those things as well, especially in the excitement of a dive...I've also had the DM turn my air off by mistake as I had turned it on.:shakehead:

On another note I've enjoyed a Monkey Gland burger/gravey several times while in South Africa...is this where the idea for your handle came from? :popcorn:

I don't have a checklist, but I have a mnemonic. It goes through the dive plan from beginning to end. Then we do a head-to-toe equipment check (by organizing it that way, I don't forget anything, or if I do, one of my teammates will notice).

I agree that having a formal way to make sure everything is as it should be is a good thing. We have a written checklist for packing for dive trips. But even if I had a written list for pre-dive, I think after a few hundred iterations, I'd have it memorized.

Interestingly, the article I read on checklists used in surgery (which is why I posted) was put in place instead of doing things from memory. The reinforcement of the ticking a box catches even the most basic errors before they happen and gives each item equal weighting.

Goal (Dive objective)
Unified Team (Team strategies)
Equipment (Match)
Exposure (Depth/Time)
Decompression
Gas (Gas management)
Environment (Issues)

GUE EDGE :)

Is there an actual checklist - those are excellent headings - but is there a broken down set of items to check off?

I've done all those things as well, especially in the excitement of a dive...I've also had the DM turn my air off by mistake as I had turned it on.:shakehead:

On another note I've enjoyed a Monkey Gland burger/gravey several times while in South Africa...is this where the idea for your handle came from? :popcorn:

It's a cocktail with a hilariously gruesome back story..

The Monkey Gland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:classic: I use a mnemonic as well, with simplified and standardized gear. I also keep my gear arranged in 4 groups (exposure protection, bc, x-shorts, mask n fins) so I grab items as a unit instead of piecemeal. It makes it more difficult to forget things when you reduce them to such a small number.

That being said, its only human to forget stuff. I'm horrible about remembering to turn my air on, but manage to catch myself before it will cause me undue suffering. Part of my own little last minute check.

So simplify/consolidate items, standardize with your buddies, and develop your own hands on "this could shag me" check. Then practice it and streamline it so it flows. Head to toe, left to right, however your brain works best.

Peace,
Greg

Checklists are good. Pilots use them, astronauts use them, surgeons too - all to increase safety and make sure you've covered the most obvious things.

Have you got one? Let's have a look.
Nice idea, but at 200-499 dives are you really going to start checking off a list before you get in line with the others to get off the back of the boat?
I visualize foot to head what is needed and then I have another visualization of taking a photo underwater to make sure I have what I need for my camera gear.
Then there is the buddy check. Do you have a regular buddy? What do you check for them?

Nice idea, but at 200-499 dives are you really going to start checking off a list before you get in line with the others to get off the back of the boat?
I visualize foot to head what is needed and then I have another visualization of taking a photo underwater to make sure I have what I need for my camera gear.
Then there is the buddy check. Do you have a regular buddy? What do you check for them?

I'm thinking of something quite simple that covers pretty basic checks. Buddy checks are all well and good but generally people are keen to rush through them or actually embarrased to do them (I'm thinking of instabuddies here - not people I've dived with regularly) in a bid to jump off the back of the boat without thinking too hard about what they mean.

Pretty certain a laminated card with a checklist I can go through by myself or with my buddy would focus us better through our checks and mean that I could confidently approach the dive knowing I had covered stuff in a meaningful way. It might well end up being quicker.

It horses for courses, of course. Just figured taking a leaf out of the books of other life critical procedures might be a good idea.

Here's the article I mentioned about how very simple checklist have improved safety in surgery.

BBC NEWS | Health | Surgical checklist 'saves lives'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom