prescription dive masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know whether you need bifocals or not. If not, your LDS can probably offer replacement lenses for the masks they sell. If you need bifocals, seavision gets my vote. Nothing to lose, fall out or fail. They sell masks and can put them in a wide range of masks you might like.

I recently purchased a prescription mask from SeaVision---Cheap? No--about $182 but the service I received when UPS delivered them to the wrong address was outstanding. Called SeaVision (talked to John) and told him the problem, he contacted UPS and put out a tracer but still no mask--I needed them soon for a trip. Instead of making me wait they sent me another mask and required a signature before releasing the mask to me. I wear bi-focals, have an astigmatism and this new mask did wonders for my underwater vision--couldn't be more pleased. Oh and yes UPS finally retrieved the mask from the wrong address and asked if I still wanted it--nope return it to SeaVision, which they did.

I wear contacts & recently needed to add bifocals/readers. Tried the "silicone glue-on" magnifiers the lds recommended & after drying they came off immediately in my home test bucket the next day. Re-glued them on (& left them alone, this time). Packed for a trip & they came loose during my second mask rinse, day 1. Aaargh. Went without "magnification", the rest of the trip.

Back home, talked to my optometrist, & got "mono-vision" in one my contacts. Works great! One eye sees long distance best, the other eye can see long distance, but also sees close-up, for gauge reading or critters.

So, OP, if the prescription lenses & after-market "add-ons" aren't working, consider disposable (biweekly/monthly) contacts - 1 of them with monovision - at least for diving. I much prefer contacts, especially UW, over glasses/inserts (but haven't tried or paid the big bucks for a prescription/bifocal mask). Plus, I have a small face & had a difficult time finding a good mask that fit originally. I do shut my eyes when clearing my mask, but otherwise contacts have never been an issue. (And I always pack a reserve pair - just in case). Just another option . . .

Last edited:
I've been using SeaVision since 1995 due to severe near sighted + astigmatism. Never had any issues with the masks and I still use my original as my backup. They cost more than non RX, but are quality products and worth the added expense.

I have like a -7 prescription in both eyes and I have been using a Sea Vision mask for the past several months (snorkeling and now working on my OW cert). Not cheap but I have been really happy with them. I can finally see underwater!

I'm on the same page as Tep.
This online shop took good care of me too. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.
I mailed my prescription, plus a new mask I wanted them to work on, they cut the lenses to size, professionally rounded off all edges and got the corrective lenses adhered from inside the mask. No issues what so ever. They pay attention to details. There are no smudges, no excess glue nor anything scratched. The mask works great, no distortion in field of view, no problems whatsoever.
In summary, professional craftsmanship and good finish.
It took a little while, close to one month for placing the order to getting the finished product back in my hands.
I highly recommend them, and will use in the future again.
Ricardo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom