Prescription Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can think of a few. For one, I don't wear contacts above water. I didn't want to pay the $150 fee the optician wanted to fit me for contacts just to get some for diving. Also some divers have to remove their masks frequently (think OW instructors) and don't want to loose contacts. Come to think of it, I wouldn't want saltwater under a contact.

I know it's not directly addressing your question, but is there any reason not just to wear contacts? I've worn them diving for years without any problem.

I can think of a few. For one, I don't wear contacts above water. I didn't want to pay the $150 fee the optician wanted to fit me for contacts just to get some for diving. Also some divers have to remove their masks frequently (think OW instructors) and don't want to loose contacts. Come to think of it, I wouldn't want saltwater under a contact.

That's fair enough, sounds like you've thought about it.

BTW, it's something of an urban myth about losing contacts underwater. I practice mask removal, swim (eyes open) and recovery frequently and have never lost one. Anyhow - lenses are just a tip and my preference. And if you break your prescription lense you'll miss out whereas contacts are cheap - after your initial minor investment.

I haven't looked back so don't discount them out of hand.

p.s. I never wore contacts before diving and I still usually wear glasses.

I have 2 masks, one with replacement lenses that closely match my Rx for distance and bi-focal inserts for reading my computer, and one regular ole mask. Yes I see better far off with RX mask, but I really can't focus on things up close, even with the inserts. They were a waste of $. I use my regular mask when diving shallow and looking at macro stuff. Seems to work out OK.

If you can read your gages and dive watch (or computer) well without your glasses, then you can probably get along just fine without any corrective lenses in your mask. I have the Dive Optx "stick-in" lenses in my mask for something of the bifocal effect. I wear bifocals normally, as I cannot focus on close-up details without them, and with an uncorrected mask I could not read my gages or watch. The stick-in lenses work great for me, and they cost about $35 for the pair.

My wife, on the other hand, is legally blind without her glasses. Her prescription mask has the front glass replaced with the ground prescription lenses (not just glued on the existing glass). Because of the strength of her prescription, it cost about $200 above the cost of the mask itself.

Worth

Every

Penny.

lol....I love it when people talk about being legally blind without their glasses...What you are referring to is very poor vision without them, good vision with them, right??.....(ie blindness is blindness---with or without glasses)

--------just one of my pet peeves--------

Since you're just nearsighted, if it's an easy prescription just pick up the Body Glove corrective masks. They already have the prescription in them. They will come in 3 strengths. I have about 40 dives with mine and no issues. I picked up at Sports Authority for $60 or you can get online easily too. Clear frame is -1.5. Blue is second weakest.

I had Seavision put my Rx into the mask 10 years ago. Have not had a problem since. It was a little costly but what is good vision worth? To me it is priceless when I am diving.

A little late response here, but if anyone is nearsighted, you are a perfect candidate for the HydroOptix wide angle view mask. When I read their site and realized that naturally nearsighted people don't need the required contact lenses to wear the mask, I was hooked, and I bought one without ever trying one, and boy am I glad I did. I will never go back to a flat mask again - the added wide angle view, and corrected vision all in one package.

You see true distance underwater, no chromatic abberations from flat mask image distortion. All for about the price of a prescription mask ($200.00) but with the added benefit of wide angle view. DO search on Hydro Optix here for reviews. The bad reviews generally come from folks with good eyesight, that don't want to spend the money on the mask and buy contacts to make them temporarily nearsighted, but many do buy the contacts for the extended view.

I have worn contacts for the last 28 years, and dive with them all the time. I've never lost one, even when my mask came off on a Hatteras wreck at about 95ft. I'm hooked--never will I dive without my contacts!

Extra added bonus: You can actually see more better topside with contacts than with glasses! That's not a rubish remark there--you can actually see more and see it better. Peripheral vision is greatly enhanced with contacts.

I have worn contacts for the last 28 years, and dive with them all the time. I've never lost one, even when my mask came off on a Hatteras wreck at about 95ft. I'm hooked--never will I dive without my contacts!

Extra added bonus: You can actually see more better topside with contacts than with glasses! That's not a rubish remark there--you can actually see more and see it better. Peripheral vision is greatly enhanced with contacts.

I too wore contacts up until I got to the {cough-cough} bifocal age. With my astigmatism & nearsighteness, it would have been costly and a hassle to get bifocal contacts.

Now it's Seavision prescription lenses all the way!

Back
Top Bottom