Prescription Mask Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I normally use progressive focus glasses or a combination of reading or desk glasses (bureau glasses) and contacts. So I am no longer capable of correcting my vision without worrying about the close up aspect. I have been trying for year to get the right combination. I like doing macro photography and have come up with the following solution. I should say at the outset that it is a compromise between real convenience for the close up work and clear distance vision. The reason I came up with this is that on a number of occassions I have walked out of the house with my so called bureau glasses on my nose. These glasses give me perfect vision for the distance a computer is at (about 75 cm (30 inches), but I have noticed that only after driving for a while I notice that the number plates of cars are not totally clear in the distance. In other words, at some distance my vision is not perfect. Underwater this is not such an issue except for when the water is clear as glass and I want to see in the distance. However when it comes to seeing what I am focused on with a system camera, using the lcd on the back of the camera (Olympus EPL-1 in this case) I see everything in fine detail (the result of depth of field and a good focus also at 40 cm for example. So instead of reading aspects in my mask, or inserts I now dive with day lenses that give me 'bureau-vision' and I am loving it.

Hi,
I just had prescription bifocal lenses with an astigmatism correction put into my Mares liquidskin mask by
rxdivemask@aol.com
10:12 AM (10 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gregory Maggiore

Leonard Maggiore Opticians est. 1936
913-710-6022

[/FONT]

Diving was such a pleasure now that I can read my gauges and my dive computer well. They actually make the lens and mount it inside of your glass dive mask lens. The cost depends on the type of prescription you need. I mailed my dive mask to them and had it back in about 2 weeks. I think that they can do a quicker turn around if needed. They answered all questions on the phone and by email as well. Hope this helps!

I have been diving bifocal glasses in my mask for the last two years. with my astigmatism I am unable to tell the time on any watch or even clock without my glasses. in Europe I suggest going to Optic Heydenreich in Munich.

I have my eye Dr appt tomorrow to get an updated prescription. Since I just bought a new mask to have the prescription lenses put in I need to test the mask in the pool first. But I sounds like this is my best option. Thanks for everyone's replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom